what age do you stop 24/7 heating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FusionMorelia

Reaction score
Gday everyone i have been reading a bit and it seems the time to swap to less than 24hr heating for small snakes differs a bit
i live in western nsw and its already 30+ days and house gradient of 24c (27 28ish in herp room cause im waiting for ducted air to be installed next year sometime) my md is almost 12months old just wondering whens a good time to swap the heating around?
also does the area heat during the day affect when one would change from 24hr heat?

I think I know what you mean. You could get away with another year of 24hr heating (by 24 months of age) or start to turn off the heat at night now that summers about to start, and cool next winter (day heat, no night heat).

In summer you have the option to heat the cages normally and keep the aircon going on hot days and nights, or no aircon on hot days and let ambient room temp heat cages (no lights, heat mats, etc). You must aircon if room temps get over 30degC. Other keepers do a variety of other methods, but this works for simplicity. Btw I have suggested this heating method based upon a MD being kept in Forbes, it would be different if you kept cooler climate (ie diamond) or tropical (ie rough scaled p) species.

Some people just give hatchies 24hr heat and once they reach juvies 12 hr heat at night my snakes get no heat others do this as well

cool, thanks for the advice, i just didnt want to hurt her with the freak heat out here then heating the click clack might move her to a cooler room and stick with 24hr heating for now :)

You really dont need to supply them with 24 hour heating at all. Keepers only do this to get some size on them.

You really dont need to supply them with 24 hour heating at all. Keepers only do this to get some size on them.
I agree, i only supply 24 hr heat if im trying to get some size on a hatchling or if its to cold in my herp room over winter for some species.
But most of my collection just get daytime heat and everything goes off at night, why make your powerbill higher when its not really needed!

Nothing of mine gets 24 hour heating no matter what age. Its not natural for constant 24 hour heat so I don't bother.

Only reason in my opinion to heat 24 hours is as others have suggested to grow an animal quicker.

wow i didnt realize this many people didnt do the 24/7 heat thing i have a big river rock of slate on the warm end so it will stay warm for a few hrs after turning it off.
i might try this i have had a few pm's about this too so it sounds very viable hmm food for thought thanks guys :)

cool, thanks for the advice, i just didnt want to hurt her with the freak heat out here then heating the click clack might move her to a cooler room and stick with 24hr heating for now :)

You are right to be concerned about over heating, as way too many people 'cook' pythons that naturally only really bask in morning and late arvo sunlight, then move around in the cool of the night. The very high heat kills snakes quickly, but to be kept too cool will do so slowly.

i was wondering about this also as i had been useing an ir heat lamp for my 11mnth jungle and the kids killed it flicking the power on and off so i went and got a simple spotlight ect from woolies which is working for temps but needs to go off at night was a little worried it would be no good for it... seems it should be all good now tho so ill stick with that instead of buying more ir bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back