Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda1032

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I live near Nanango QLD and I found this guy about 15 minutes ago. He was quite narky when I tried to shoo him off with a hook.
He was approx 30cm long and had no traction on the cement. Any ID would be great as all my books are in boxes still!

Attachments

• AGSnake.jpg
    AGSnake.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 187
LOL It didn't gobble when I approached it tho...... it must be a silent turkey!

The crowned snakes are some of our most beautiful reptiles. The three named species, the Golden Crowned snake Cacophis squamulosus, the White Crowned snake C. harriettae and the Dwarf Crowned snake C. kreffti all occur on the east coast of Australia. All are found in our region although the White Crowned [pictured] is at the very southern limit of its distribution in far northeast NSW and is listed as a Threatened species in NSW.

The three species can be distinguished by their size and the shape and colour of the “crown” marking around the head. They range in size from around 20 cm [total length] for the Dwarf Crowned, to around 50cm [total length] for the Golden Crowned.

While all three are venomous even the larger Golden Crowned is not considered dangerous. When threatened all three put on a spectacular show of bluff, with the head held high and pointed toward the ground they will strike repeatedly in an attempt to ward off potential predators. However the two smaller species are reluctant to bite at all and rarely open the mouth in defence.

Crowned snakes are nocturnal and prefer moist habitat with plenty of ground cover vegetation and leaf litter. They will eat lizards and frogs as well as other prey, which suits their size. They are all very secretive snakes and given the right conditions the two smaller species are able to survive in built up areas. Both turn up occasionally in backyards in parts of Southport where the house blocks are the older ½ to 1 acre size.

a little info

LOL, don't forget that white crowned , which it looks like can give a nasty bite, but it has a very distint band, the one we had in our back yard , had more of a integrated band.

nice

could even be a southern dwarf crowned snake as they have a more yellow band.
nice find
cheers steve

Hi all

That is Cacophis harrietae, trhe white Crowned Snake...one of 4 described species of Cacophis (the others are churchilli, kreffti and squamulosus).

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

white crowned are lovely little snake,i love the mock striking with there mouth closed LOL

He was very cute indeed, while I'm here I'm teaching the folks what will harm and what won't and that they are all a part of rural life. I've seen more in my short time here than what I have in my entire life. It's just amazing what this warmer climate holds. We grew up in the Coffs Harbour area, but the diversity of fauna I've seen here is greater than what the Bellingen shire has!!!

Thanks so much for the indepth replies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back