Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm new to the snake discussion but not new to the forum. I've had bluey's in the past and now have a gorguz bearded dragon named Yoda.

My son has been hounding me about getting a snake and l am really terrified of snakes. I've not said a flat out no, but lets wait til your birthday (in June) and then well talk about it again.
I'm hoping by doing a lot of research that i might warm up to the idea of having a snake. My problem is, lm not sure where to start - meaning, what sort of snake to look at getting. All ideas, suggestions and advice good or bad will be greatly accepted. Once l know what sort of snake would be good for a beginner, then l can start researching the ins and outs of that snake.
Thanks in advance,

Jane
what license have u got [ or are going to get] as womas are on advanced .
for a first snake id go a spotted [ yes they have known to be bitey when young] but they dont hurt , any/every snake can tag ya . but atleast with a spotted even at full size its not going to hurt heaps [ but there will be blood] .

Stimson Python! They RULE!!!! Or just get one of everything!!!!! :)

you can't stop at just one - be warned!

for a first snake id go a spotted [ yes they have known to be bitey when young] but they dont hurt , any/every snake can tag ya . but atleast with a spotted even at full size its not going to hurt heaps [ but there will be blood] .

I was just reading the dse form and found that there are a dozen on the basic license (which l got when l bought my beardie), at this point l don't intend on getting an advanced license but l guess you never know what's going to happen in the future

i have the funds for a gtp i also am quite appealed by them however i wouldn't have any idea how to look after one

n Australia most people are well afraid of snakes. And with good enough reason. If you step on one accidentally you might well be bitten. And that has consequences. Perhaps that is why Australians even in snake free countries such as New Zealand can’t relax in long grass. Because we live in a house in Southern Australia with a largish garden near a river, snakes are frequent visitors. If they are about the house we try to kill them. But if they are down the river end they will just go on their way. One of our dogs was bitten by a four foot tiger snake and had to spend the night at the vets. Because he was a big dog he survived.
However snakes are protected species in Australia.
The most common Australian snakes that people come across include:

The Red Bellied Black Snake
Scientific Name: Pseudechis porphyriacus
Not hugely venomous and it lives in the Eastern ranges and along sand dunes near the coast. It is very common.

i have the funds for a gtp i also am quite appealed by them however i wouldn't have any idea how to look after one
That's fair enough. I guess a bit of common sense should be used in those sorts of cases. In NSW you can't get Greens as a first snake anyway. Not sure what it's like in Vic though

n Australia most people are well afraid of snakes. And with good enough reason. If you step on one accidentally you might well be bitten. And that has consequences. Perhaps that is why Australians even in snake free countries such as New Zealand can’t relax in long grass. Because we live in a house in Southern Australia with a largish garden near a river, snakes are frequent visitors. If they are about the house we try to kill them. But if they are down the river end they will just go on their way. One of our dogs was bitten by a four foot tiger snake and had to spend the night at the vets. Because he was a big dog he survived.
However snakes are protected species in Australia.
The most common Australian snakes that people come across include:

The Red Bellied Black Snake
Scientific Name: Pseudechis porphyriacus
Not hugely venomous and it lives in the Eastern ranges and along sand dunes near the coast. It is very common.
Did you really just suggest an elapid as a first snake?

I dont think he suggested getting an Elapid for a first, Anyone with an idea like that would have to be either a huge risk taker or just plain crazy lol. I think what he was trying to do was tell him the reasons as to why people are afraid of snakes, Although i dont think snakes should be feared as you and most people who keep them know that they are just misunderstood and do what they do to survive... Very much like us humans do. What needs to be done is to educate people on how to avoid most of these examples, Then our snakes will be free to do what they do without us panicy humans running off to get the shovel lol.

As stated before mate, I believe any kind of Carpet Python would make a perfect first snake =)

i agree with this. Bought my girlfriend a woma yearling this year for her first snake and she loves it and
shes not that into other snakes. Also every woma I've seen in the flesh have been the calmest snakes I've ever seen great choice :)

My first was a woma and now I'm addicted to them.. My boyfriend loves them too.. Really placid and such good looking pythons... The colours they come in and the bandings are awesome, they are becoming a bit more popular too which makes the pricing of them fairly reasonable!! They can get a liver disease though if they have too much fatty food...

Not in NSW?? or are they?? To my understanding if you had your licence for over 2 years you could get them on a c1... please correct me if I'm wrong :/

Last edited:
Yeah in NSW they are a Class 1 reptile. In QLD they are restricted so you are limited on a normal licence.

did anyone notice on there one of the pics on the first page is a jag?...

Yeah i did mate, above the Emu.. I wonder what a jag would be classed under..

Morelia spilota unknown Carpet/Diamond Python Sub species
unknown
2625 R1,R2,R3,R4,R5,
Companion
Python.. Or would it be classed under one of the hybrid listings??

You could call it whatever you want. Not like anyone from DECC would know. You could call it a Green Tree Python and they probably wouldn't know the difference

Womas make a great first snake, as has already been said, they're very hardy and are generally great feeders. Antaresia (stimmies, childrens, and spotteds) all tend to make good first snakes aswell, as long as they're feeding well when you get them, they can be snappy but they're so small you barely feel it and its a good way to over come the fear of being bitten. You should really get what you want though, what you can afford and what you can manage at adult size. Your son may very well have some idea of what he'd like or what is good also, he could help you decide what to read up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back