what snake is this

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The snake is a Keelback (otherwise known as a Freshwater snake)...the lizard a Water Dragon.

There was another thread a couple of hours ago asking for an ID an the same type of snake. The Keelback is quite harmless but easy to confuse with the Rough Scaled Snake(which is deadly). The best way to tell is to check for a loreal scale(the one between the scale in front of the eye and the nasal scale). Keelbacks have one...Rough scales dont.

Mate what are you doing heading a snake that you have no ID on? You don't have a very good grip on it either.

If you don't know what it is, or even if you do know what it is, and have no reason to catch it leave the poor buggers alone. Get some pictures from afar and let it go on its way.

it is a keelback (tropidonophis mairii) you should never try to catch anything you are not sure of !

someone could be proficient at catching snakes and not be a genius at identifying them. I was originally trained to pin snakes, then taught myself to tail followed by training by "wires" The whole time I was licenced by NPWS for "live trap and relocate". If all snakes are treated as deadly (by those that respect and admire them) then the person stands little chance of being envenomated does he/she not? Perhaps we should not be so quick to criticise.

Mate what are you doing heading a snake that you have no ID on? You don't have a very good grip on it either.

If you don't know what it is, or even if you do know what it is, and have no reason to catch it leave the poor buggers alone. Get some pictures from afar and let it go on its way.

was going to say the same thing.

if you dont know what it is, dont touch it.

someone could be proficient at catching snakes and not be a genius at identifying them. I was originally trained to pin snakes, then taught myself to tail followed by training by "wires" The whole time I was licenced by NPWS for "live trap and relocate". If all snakes are treated as deadly (by those that respect and admire them) then the person stands little chance of being envenomated does he/she not? Perhaps we should not be so quick to criticise.

If you have ven experience you would realise that his hold on it is not safe. It's a keelback, what kind of aussie herper wouldn't know what a keelback is???

I would hope that someone who was well trained in catching and handling snakes could identify a keelback - not to mention that there really is no need to pick up snakes for identification as a photo on the ground will do the same job.
I would like to think that anyone who would handle wild snakes at least knows what they are dealing with, if not just take a snap and ask someone who would know

Not being nasty but I would hate to see someone pick up and unknown snake and get tagged and possibly die - best left to those who know what they are doing.

Warukuzi........what kind of Aussie herper would state on a public forum that all the Eastern Browns that would be out and about at the moment are males because the females would be coiling around eggs????? That would be pretty silly wouldn't it? I wouldn't be lecturing people on handling wild snakes if I were you given your history with snakebite.

Cheers,

Kris.

I side with those who suggest that you should know what it is before you try to handle it.

Different species have different temperaments and knowing what the animal is helps a lot when you are trying to catch it safely.

If you are not sure what type of snake it is then the sensible thing would be to keep your distance.

Get over yourselves people! You have zero idea of the situation here other than the photos and a simple question. Maybe answer the question first and ask for clarification before jumping down his throat.

Get over yourselves people! You have zero idea of the situation here other than the photos and a simple question. Maybe answer the question first and ask for clarification before jumping down his throat.

Good call !
e.g. the first photo is in a public childrens play area.
and the snake was unfortunatly killed and is dead in the second photo = safe grip.

Who Knows?

Warukuzi........what kind of Aussie herper would state on a public forum that all the Eastern Browns that would be out and about at the moment are males because the females would be coiling around eggs????? That would be pretty silly wouldn't it? I wouldn't be lecturing people on handling wild snakes if I were you given your history with snakebite.

Cheers,

Kris.

Tell me my history with snake bite. Tell me what it was, how it happened and what actually happened and then tell me why i shouldn't be lecturing people on not touching wild snakes that they can't identify. Even better just tell me what my job was when my 'history with snake bite' occurred.

If you don't like me then whatever, i'm sure if i get some counseling and take a bit of me time i'll get over it but take a look at what you are saying. Are you seriously promoting that it's ok for people to go around catching wild snakes without training and without good reason to do it?

well you can have the first part of your statement.

What was the scenario behind the pic with you holding the snake? its sure was not dead in a play ground I would say hahah.

Happy now, we will all know why he picked up a snake he could not identify so peoples comments will or wont be justified!!

Not promoting that at all. If you read my post very carefully you'll see at no time did I condone, support or otherwise encourage that sort of activity. In fact I was very careful not to.

You may have a perfectly valid reason for having been bitten (if there really is such a thing) the fact remains you've made a habit lately of trashing anyone and everyone is the nastiest way possible with barely any real understanding of the situation you're talking about and this is no exception. Sure, disagree with people. But why treat them like dirt publicly because they're not doing something you like. This has nothing to do with me not liking you and everything to do with being fed up with hypocrisy and vindictiveness.

Not promoting that at all. If you read my post very carefully you'll see at no time did I condone, support or otherwise encourage that sort of activity. In fact I was very careful not to.

You may have a perfectly valid reason for having been bitten (if there really is such a thing) the fact remains you've made a habit lately of trashing anyone and everyone is the nastiest way possible with barely any real understanding of the situation you're talking about and this is no exception. Sure, disagree with people. But why treat them like dirt publicly because they're not doing something you like. This has nothing to do with me not liking you and everything to do with being fed up with hypocrisy and vindictiveness.

Well at least we agree on one point.

People catching wild snakes really gets my goat, especially when there is no good reason for it and even more when they don't have proper training. I used to get phone calls on a weekly basis from people wanting me to ID a snake that has bitten them after they either tried to catch or kill it. There is nothing hypocritical about that, i always have and i will continue to call people out on it. As for being nasty and vindictive, I don't recon i am and i don't try to be (most of the time) maybe i need to put more smileys into my posts. I'm sorry if i've upset you Kris.

The pic is gone now and it turns out the snake was dead so Carpetsnake i apologize for getting it wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back