Whats the best light tent??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaotikJezta

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Plotting world domination from the depths of Hellb
Ok, setting up a home studio with the arrival of my DSLR at any moment and I am doing studio photography at uni. Was wondering what peoples ideas were on the best light tent. Things like size, shape, brand, materials etc. There are so many on ebay I am finding it hard choosing. Feel free to post example pictures.:)

I can't say I've ever used one, but could definitely see the benefits. I don't think shape or brand would matter all that much. Size would depend on what you wanna shoot the most. Obviously if it's reps you'd need something of a fairly decent size. I shoot primarily macro, so a small one would do me.

Are you going to be using flashes, or lamps?

I just looked up light tents on ebay...it's an absolute mine field :O

I'll post this anyway...it's not a light tent, but does the job of getting good light on the subject, and the lamp is basically used so I can autofocus on the tiny little insects :)

5986024649_03463cb4b4_z.jpg

Last edited:
The problem with shooting reps in a light tent, is that they might not behave, and probably decide to have their heads facing the wrong way. So unless you make it that you can actually move whatever they're on (log/branch etc) in the light tent, it might be tough.

That's just my way of thinking. I could be wrong there.

I'd actually prefer to do it on a table (probably a bigger table than I have above), and be able to move around, and then position the flashes afterwards, and then move a backdrop into position. I have enough trouble photographing my animals in their enclosures with the restrictive movement!

There's no right or wrong answers to this. I just prefer the flexibility and movement. Others might prefer the tent.

Last edited:
Must admit, I'm a little envioius of you doing studio photography at uni. What camera did you end up going for?

Well, being old school and loving film, after much research I decided on the Sigma SD14 as it is as close to film as you can get in a digital. I only had a budget of $500 and low and behold, there was one on ebay with 15 minutes to go. I got it with a second body that is faulty, a macro lens, a telephoto and a bunch of other stuff + a film camera for $455. I was stoked. It just turned up 10 minutes ago. YAY!!

I should mention, my dad is a photographer and I have been using Nikons since I was about 8 years old but I was never happy with the digital Nikons. I remember when my dad got his first digital Nikon, he bought the top of the range at the time and 2 weeks later he sold it and went back to film.

EDIT: Another nifty thing about the SD14 is you can remove the IR filter in about 2 seconds flat to clean the image sensor so it becomes an IR camera without the ridiculously expensive and irreversible conversion needed with other cameras.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back