Wild python with dried scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nom..

Reaction score
Having owned a children’s python for 20yrs, I had a friend recently drop off a wild one she had found in a large rock pile that appeared injured.
She had quite significant scale damage (scuffed and dry) but I could tell she was about to shed so I put her in a clean dry container with a bowl of warm water and waited.
She shed in pieces and most of the new scales looked good but there are large parts that look like they haven’t shed and are dark n dry, even on the belly.
She recently took 2 defrosted mice which she ate easily so I’m just waiting for her to pass them now.
Can anyone please shed some light on what she is suffering from and my next step to help in her rehab.

I can’t attach pics for some reason but best a can describe is that there is patches of scales that are dry, dark and shrivelled. She also has been rubbing them and scales are coming off to reveal flesh..
thank you

If you're going to release it, just do it now, right where the snake was captured in the first place. Snakes released into new areas generally don't live, and if they do it's generally at the expense of the life of a resident snake. People feel all warm and fuzzy taking wild snakes in to care for them, but despite the good intentions they're doing more harm than good to the snake populations, even if you ignore the issues with parasite and disease introduction.

Wild snakes routinely deal with scuffed scales and various injuries, it's very common to see wild snakes with old scars from what were clearly severe injuries. A mild injury is much less of a problem for a snake than being relocated or having its territory taken by another snake while it is forced to be absent.

Back