Yearling & Hatchling Albino Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Here is a pic showing a yearling and 3 hatchling albino Pogona Mitchelli.
They are a small dragon breed (the size of a pygmy or dwarf). I've seen them referred to as Pilbara Dwarf bearded dragons, but their common name on the NSW species list is North West bearded Dragon.

They are now listed as class 1 on the 2010 list.

There is also a pic of the parents, the normal looking hatchlings from the same clutch, and a normal yearling male.

As you can see, the normals develop quite nice colours. I think they are the best looking, of the Dwarf/Pygmy size dragons.

Attachments

• Albinos.jpg
    Albinos.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 775
  • Parents.jpg
    Parents.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 586
  • 66%het.jpg
    66%het.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 543
  • Yr.jpg
    Yr.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 516
How do you go raising these guys?
the feedback from other people is they are diffcult to keep alive is this true?

Cheers
Sturdy

Scleropages - yes, if someone is prepared to buy one, knowing that they will have to assist feed for its entire life. See below.

Sturdy - The only difficulty I have encountered while raising the yearling, is that it requires assist feeding. It cant see well enough to feed itself. The hatchlings are the same.
Assist feeding hatchlings is a pain in the A. It gets easier (but is still difficult) as they get bigger, but these things are Dwarf/Pygmy sized dragons, and the babies start out tiny.
I have started the three hatchlings on hills ad, using the smear technique. It's time consuming, but they are eating it.
It's really frustrating at times. You know they want to eat, because they gulp it down when you get it in their mouth, but they don't always cooperate. They wriggle around and move their head all over the place, but once the food is in their mouth they eat it. Sometimes, when the yearling knows that there is food in front of him, he will lunge in all directions. I hold the cricket directly in front of his mouth, but he is all over the place. I hope that one day he will just open his mouth and keep his head still so I can put the cricket straight in.
I'm still hoping that I will get one that will feed on its own, but it seems that Albino = Blind, when it comes to Bearded Dragons.

Gonzo

wow that does sound like a pain in the a. and also points out why my two who spend all day every day begging for food... and winge if they don't get meal worm pupae look like they are nearing obese in comparrison. Like fat kids at Maccas.

lol in the first picture the mini one in the top right looks like a pinkie mouse =)

HOM3L3SS - this is from wikipedia.

Eye conditions common in albinism may include:

* Nystagmus, irregular rapid movement of the eyes back and forth, or in circular motion.
* Strabismus, eye misalignment ("crossed eyes" or "lazy eye").
* Refractive errors such as myopia or hyperopia and especially astigmatism are more likely[14]
* Photophobia, hypersensitivity to bright light and glare.
* Macular hypoplasia, underdevelopment of the fovea, the center of the retina
* Optic nerve hypoplasia, underdevelopment of the optic nerve
* Abnormal decussation (crossing) of the optic nerve fibers in the optic chiasm[15]
* Amblyopia, decrease in acuity of one or both eyes due to poor transmission to the brain, often due to other conditions such as strabismus.

Have you tried feeding in dim light? It may be they just cant see well in bright or normal lighting conditions.

and any of those eye conditions you also can find in people with abinoism

Howdy, i have started using the Hills a d a few days ago myself. He seems to like it .Have attached a pic of an albino which did not survive from the previous clutch he was 11 days old .cheers

Attachments

• DSC02770.jpg
    DSC02770.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 280
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back