Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy K.

Reaction score
Many of you may have noticed photos circulating of our Ochre BHPs, posted by Sharyn at Just reptiles.
These magnificent pythons are the product of years of selective breeding efforts between two family breeders, Kuligowskis and Worleys. As the photos show, these impressive pythons display distinctive earthy gold coloration, hence the name Ochre BHPs, not Magnificent Gold as named by Reptiles australia magazine. There are two different lines available, both equally exceptional. This is a dominat mutation, as Ochre line BHPs not displaying gold, still produce ochre hatchlings. We can only imagine what will pop out of the next egg, gold head, gold body? We'll just have to wait and see.
Any enquiries about these distinctive pythons, Call Denver or Troy Kuligowski on 0438896457 or Kel and Julie worley on 02 6644 8114

denver0132.jpg

denver014.jpg

denver012.jpg

f1bba93d.jpg

Very nice, I can't see much differernce between it and the "gold" one in Reptiles Australia though.
Is there more of a difference when you see them in the flesh?

It is the same snake. They are called Ochres. The magazine took it upon themselves to call them "magnificent gold".

So what is the mutation? They just have an orange chin?

This is a dominat mutation, as Ochre line BHPs not displaying gold, still produce ochre hatchlings.

I might be going crazy from trying to fix a broken thesis, and it's been a couple of years since Ive thought about genetics, but isn't that a recessive mutation? A dominant mutation would have all individuals that posessed the specific allele showing the trait. Thus if they did not show the trait they could not throw young with the trait.

I'm pretty sure this is right.... correct me if I'm wrong.

-H

I saw the pictures in Reptile Australia magazine and had a look at the pics on the Just Reptiles site... very nice looking animals don't get me wrong... but not that impressive in my opinion as far as what I'd term "a striking mutation"

Lovely black headed python! It looks like the black is wearing off and the orange head is being revealed, like a woma coming out of a black headed costume! No wonder everyone thinks it looks so fantastic! :D :lol:

Nephrurus, you're quite right about dominant alleles ("mutations"), they'll show up in every individual carrying them. Then again, I've just done the thesis thing too :p

i thought a all black head is one of the things that is appealing about a "black headed python" not a half black headed python

sevrum said:
i thought a all black head is one of the things that is appealing about a "black headed python" not a half black headed python

Each to their own, I'm sure there will be a fair few people who find these appealing. A small number of wild Black Headed Pythons have been seen with orange patches on their heads, I think pictures of one were posted on APS a year or two back, with the person who saw it claiming it was a wild woma/black headed hybrid, which many of us doubted. It's pretty interesting to see these ones produced in captivity. At the other extreme, I have pictures of a woma with a head which is approximately half black, and perhaps there are some even more black headed womas around.

Kel purchased a male from my Speckled BHP, and when he bred from my boy informed me that the young were missing their black throats. It would appear that this mutation traces back to my girl.

Are you sure a woma didn't get into the blackheads cage while you weren't looking? They do look very different but not unlike a pic of a woma x blackhead that was floating around on the net a while ago. I'll try find it and put it up to compare

Are they for sale and does anyone know how much they are asking?
Are they NT or QLD lines?
I am more impressed with the body marking/variation then head colour.
Great to see impressive snakes getting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back