12 year old Diamond python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony3663

Reaction score
Hi
Can you give me some advice please. I have 2 Diamond Pythons, one is fine (Kita) and eating regularly but the other (Nigini) is not eating and has not eaten for 4 months. He was previously eating a medium rat every 3 weeks or so. He has always been a bit of a fussy eater, unlike the other one. He is about 12 years old. When he sheds now his skin does not all come away.
I live in Sydney and the snakes are in an outdoor aviary and the 2 snakes mostly choose to sleep in the same box.
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
Tony

I'm more surprised that a 12 year old male Diamond kept outdoors in Sydney was eating in winter than I am at him not eating in early spring.

Not eating in early spring doesn't in any way worry me, but Diamonds aren't the hardiest of snakes and 12 years is longer than most captive (or wild) Diamonds last. If he's having sloughing issues it may just be that he's too dry, but he also might just be wearing out. I've seen wild Diamonds which were clearly less than 5 years old which seemed reasonably frail, they're just not that tough. Don't get me wrong, in another month or two with warmer weather etc he might get back into eating and regain strength and vitality, start shedding well and last another 10 years, but he has already done better than the average innings for a Diamond.

I'm more surprised that a 12 year old male Diamond kept outdoors in Sydney was eating in winter than I am at him not eating in early spring.

Not eating in early spring doesn't in any way worry me, but Diamonds aren't the hardiest of snakes and 12 years is longer than most captive (or wild) Diamonds last. If he's having sloughing issues it may just be that he's too dry, but he also might just be wearing out. I've seen wild Diamonds which were clearly less than 5 years old which seemed reasonably frail, they're just not that tough. Don't get me wrong, in another month or two with warmer weather etc he might get back into eating and regain strength and vitality, start shedding well and last another 10 years, but he has already done better than the average innings for a Diamond.
Both Pythons don’t eat in the 3 months of winter like you said but I think he should be taking food now, I will keep an close watch on him over the next few weeks, thank you for your feedback.
Tony

Back