advice for a DIY enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricksta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm after some advice on building my own enclosure

basically from the start I had Planned on using a brand new aquarium that I bought just for my python, but after Gooling info on how to set up an enclosure.
I quickly came to realize that a glass tank would not be suitable due to high heat loss and the fact that I wanted to be able to access the enclosure from the front :(

From what I have read a timber enclosure is the way to go. but apparently you cant use pine or cedar?

Now I'm looking at using plywood but isn't that made from pine? I'm wanting to use plywood as is has the same appearance to pine and it will match the cabinet and hood that I will be using with the enclosure

Also is there anyway I can clear varnish the plywood without it causing problems/side affects to my python?

any advice, tip's or suggestions would be much appreciated

oh my python is a south western carpet python and the enclosure size I'm gonna make will be 4'x2'x3' (LxWxH)

Many Thanks
Ricksta :D

You can use pine and probably cedar as well as it all gets sealed once assembled.
Plywood is fine and can also be stained then sealed.
There are lots of clear sealers available these days.The one I use is Cabots Clear Floor.

Hi Ricksta,

My partner has built an enclosure for our two juvenile SW Carpets. He converted an old TV Cabinet that we picked up in a second had shop. Picture attached.

He knocked out the existing TV and Video shelves and had a one piece door made to fit the front (Oxley Doors in Bayswater).

As far a I know you can use pine, it is treated pine that you must avoid. The door we had made is pine and we used a non toxic water based stain and clear sealant from Bunnings to finish it off.

Hope this helps.
Orri

Attachments

• orri 144.jpg
    orri 144.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 272
Enclosure.jpgEnclosure 3.jpgThese are made from ply.1800hx1200wx600d. 16mm with 12mm back. stained out painted black inside. Cheap to make compared to buying something like this.

How big is the snake? If it's a hatchy or small juvie, the cage you propose is too big.

Jamie.

why dont you use melamine because they normally come with a white plastic surface and would be easer to clean and most likely cheaper.
im building one atm and im getting a 2door sliding window made for it with a deadlock so he cant get out
well hope this helps a bit

wow thanks for all the advice

pepsi111 = I don't want to use melamine, mdf, or chip board as I'm wanting a natural wood finish.

Pythoninfinite = yes it is just a hatchling but it wont have full freedom of the cage to start off with

Orrinoco = Thank you for clarifying the whole Pine issue, I had a feeling that it was treated pine that you couldn't use but wasn't 100% sure.

ahhh true well anyways get a lock if your getting a sliding door because my little guy managed to open mine when my door was unlocked just aswell i was in my room at the time =]

baden (solar17) has a great home made idea for "locking" sliding glass doors, cant remember the thread the pics are located in but if you pm him he may be able to help with a pic. I use his design and find it quicker and easier and just as effective as a bought lock

Hi all I decided to got with pine and well I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

but now I'm not sure where I should put the air vent's I was thinking one at the bottom on the left side of the enclosure and the other in the top right side?

also will 1x 100W ceramic heat emitter provide enough heat for 4x2x3H enclosure?

should the heat lamp be mounted from the top or should it be mounted on the side 3/4 of the way up from the base?

and yes I do have a cage around the lamp :D

Found this on the net ....
Pine or Cedar: Niether of these timbers should be used to construct a cage. Making the whole reptile cage from the pine or cedar has potential health problems for the animals. These woods emit aromatic hydrocarbons that can damage the health of the animals and cause various symptoms. There is probably little issue using as the woods in framing, as the wood has often dried out a lot and released much of the volatile material, or at the very least, the rate at which it is released is very slow.

It also is recommended that you do not use pine or cedar as a substrate. Pine and cedar wood shavings used as substrates have a very high surface area and so the hydrocarbons are released much more readily, making them potentially toxic, especially as the animals like to burrow and immerse themselves in their substrate material.

that's what I found as well mate but after asking if this was the case no one said it was true or that I couldn't use it.
So now the whole cage has to be scraped bloody hell, this is why I asked tis in the first post to start with.

that's what I found as well mate but after asking if this was the case no one said it was true or that I couldn't use it.
So now the whole cage has to be scraped bloody hell, this is why I asked tis in the first post to start with.

The enclosure has to be scrapped because of something that was read on the net?

Yeah but have a look on the net at how many enclosures/cages that are built out of pine .You shouldn't have any dramas by sealing with a paint or a clear coat .I didn't know that about pine until i read the article and i bet alot of people don't know either .

I was planning on using a non toxic clear varnish to seal it so it matched the cabinet that it will be sitting on.

so I don't have to scrap it then as I really don't want to, I like the way it looks but if its not safe I guess I have too :(

ok so where abouts should I have the air vents placed?

and also will 1x 100W ceramic heat emitter be enough for this size enclosure and should it be mounted to the top of the enclosure or the side?

ok so where abouts should I have the air vents placed?

and also will 1x 100W ceramic heat emitter be enough for this size enclosure and should it be mounted to the top of the enclosure or the side?
I always put my vents along the back wall. 100W would be enough, and mounted up the top to one side would be best IMO.

I used an interior/exterior waterbased (acrylic) non-toxic enamel to seal everything in the cage I made. It dried rock hard (its pretty much plastic you are painting on) and is easy to clean as well. You can buy non glossy versions... and glossy versions in any colour, but you can mix colours and include acrylic paint into them as well. However the clear enamels are awesome. It is slippery though. But my guys are in an opening front aquarium that is inside the pine enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back