Albino death adders!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont participate in this forum too much but this is definately worth a post good on you sdaji! Congratulations on your absolutely stunning animals they are mind blowing and i personally would of paid triple even ten times that much for one! Good on you for taking a stance and it shows your in it for the right reasons! Now i definately think its time i got around to getting my venomous licence! Good on ya!

@ sdaji, have there been any studies into albino venom vs normal? as far as effectiveness and potency goes, are any of their senses affected ie: smell or sight? They are gorgeous animals, anyone who says any different are jealous of the project! it's always so exciting when something like this happens!!!

Off the top of my head I can't think of any studies which have looked at albino vs normal venom, but I can't see any reason to suspect it. I've never given one a live feed, so I haven't tested it, but I'd be amazed if there was any difference.

Eyesight is perhaps the most common issue with albino animals, but these albinos respond to movement just as well as their siblings or any other Adders do, and their pupils react very quickly to changing light levels, so their vision is clearly working well. It's possible that they would have a tough time in full, bright sunlight, but I haven't really experimented. The few times I have taken them into bright sunlight they haven't responded any differently from a regular Adder, but I have deliberately avoided leaving them in sunlight for prolonged durations just in case.

As for smell, I can't see any reason to think they would have any differences. As with every Adder I've ever raised, I've started the albinos on thawed pink mice, and they responded well, no different from the siblings, and they've converted to small rats as though they were larger mice. I suppose you could try scenting different things to test it if you really wanted to, but I have no doubt they're smelling normally.

I'm pretty sure their hearing is just as bad as their siblings too! :lol:

No change in temperaments. I understand the albino Carpets tend to be more calm and tolerant than regular Darwin Carpets, and have a couple of ideas about why that might be, but these albinos are in every way I can tell, identical to their siblings other than a different set of colours.

Just came back to this thread since my first post...kudos to you on your approach to getting these out there sdaji. Any more pics to come?

That's fantastic Staji.
It's so nice to know that a new morph now has a secure future in the hobby. Lets hope karma sends another one your way.

g day , ive just sent you a private message in regard to purchase...thanks heaps
Well, it has been an interesting week! I thought things had gone pretty late, but to my surprise, little over 24 hours ago one girl I didn't even realise was gravid had a litter! It was an albino x albino litter, and again, the babies are perfect. Very exciting! It now looks like rather than twenty-something I’ll have thirty-something albinos available!

I want to make sure everyone gets a great deal, and I’d much rather spend the next 10-20 years being remembered for introducing a new snake morph in a way which helped the hobby, the people who bought them and the morph itself rather than someone who was into reptiles for the love until luck made him greedy, and then see the price crash in a few seasons, leaving everyone feeling a little sour.

So, I've set the price lower than expected. Males $1,500, females $1,000, pairs $2,000 and 100% hets $700. At this price, it is almost guaranteed that anyone who buys a pair, grows them up and breeds them will cover the purchase cost, probably several times over with their first litter. It also puts them at a price where just keeping one as a beautiful pet is an option.

If anyone wants to know more, please get in touch or post your questions here :)

Congrats John ,
Those Albino adders are spectacular and its good to see your time and effort pay off with such stunning new addictions .
cheers
Roger

Mine too! :lol:

I sure hope I'm not 'cracking them up to be' flying, fire-breathing serpents, and if you are expecting them to fetch the paper or wash your car you're going to be bitterly disappointed ;) I'm not cracking them up to be anything other than melanin-challenged Death Adders... call me biased but I think that's pretty cool* :)

*Disclaimer: In saying they're "pretty cool" I'm not trying to crack them up to be air conditioners or refrigeration units, or even cool to the touch in a thermal sense.

;)

i would say they are hot, sdaji and are interested to hear you explain hot rather than cool. Good on you for having morals.
Did you get pics of the birth

Congratulations Sdaji. What an exceptional way to handle the whole situation. Well done.

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks again to everyone who has wished me well and admired the animals :)

Secondly, a quick update, the babies are feeding well, the first people who contacted and paid now have their animals, and it's a great feeling to have my morph out there, established and secure. At this point I'm thrilled! Nothing can stop them now! :D

The people who have put deposits down should all have their animals before much longer. Apologies to those who have emailed without receiving an answer, it just has been impossible for me to respond to them all (at one point I was only the phone for several hours every day and responding to emails for several more hours - I became too exhausted and just had to accept my limitations), and I have had to prioritise the people who have put deposits on them.

Rather than try to take orders on the younger ones before they're ready to go, and then struggle to keep buyers updated in the mean time (as has been happening lately), I'm going to get them ready to go before taking orders. If anyone wants to send a name and email address now I'll take it down and be in touch in about a month. I should have hets available, and probably a few more albinos.

I actually broke my favourite camera the other day! I plan to buy a new one as soon as possible, and hopefully I'll be able to find something worth photographing to test it out with ;)

bigi: I did get pictures of two of the mothers giving birth, but honestly I was just so much in awe of what I was witnessing that I had trouble using the camera, so none of them turned out any good. Maybe I'm foolishly sentimental, but of the whole project, I think the greatest reward will always be the privilege of being able to watch the first albino females of the species giving birth to the first albinos produced by albinos, knowing they were the snakes which would be the first to 'go out there' and found the morph. I doubt I'll ever start another line of albino snake, and I expect that moment will probably remain my lifelong herp highlight. I'm also thoroughly looking forward to seeing the first babies produced by other people.

congrats again sdaji and yeh i cant wait to see more pics :) i love my death adders and hopefully will get some later on
yeh it would be a highlight putting that line of snake out there
thanx !!ShAyE!!

awesome snakes to say the least Sdaji :D....just 1 question . How did u find the albino adders??? did you breed them yourself????

Thanks Harry

Harry: The first albinos turned up unexpectedly, yes, I bred them myself. I was quite astounded and literally couldn't believe it for the first few minutes after I saw them as newborns. Even now it sometimes seems a bit surreal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back