Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
uh oh....i cant find them :?

they might have been lost when my hard drive died :?

well i'll keep looking but yeah he was a lightish browny colour and like i said he couldnt climb walls and had little claws on his toes. he was a good eater too lol

phantom said:
i let it go last night .

Well done Phantom ! :D Long live the little geckoe! :wink:
its nice to hear of a bit of humane compassionate behaviour when it comes to "pest" species, I applaud you mate!

To those of you who live in Melbourne, if your intrested talk to some people at the "Melbourne fruit and Vedge Markets", its amazing what turns up at times. I've heard of different 'Frogs, lizards, and snakes,' found at the Brisbane and Sydney markets as well.

Are you sure the one you found in Melbourne wasn't a Marbled Gecko (Christinus marmoratus)?????

we had marbled gex at the time and it didnt look like them! not sure if it was a baby or just a small species but it was only about 4cm total length. plus our marbled gex could climb the glass whereas this one couldnt. and i was pretty sure the marbled didnt have claws? or at least i didnt see them :p. diff sort of colouration to both ours too but i guess that might not mean much...

when i found it in melbourne it was at my works head office. I was loading up a ute and when i moved one of the boxes it came running out and across the warehouse floor. I believe that it actually hid inside one of these boxes as it had just been unloaded from a shipping container.

I asked a few people and showed it to them and they said they had seen these before when unloading boxes at head office. As Zoe said we had marbled gex at the time and it looked nothing like them, it also lacked the ability to climb walls as it had claws rather then suction cap type toes.

I called the department who put me on too the approiate person for wildlife that has been found and when speaking to him about it he said that asian house gex actually have established a colony in N.T along the highway somewhere. (can't remember exactly where it was) I fed the gex because i had it for about 48hrs until zoe and i drove it to him because we lived so far away and he couldn't get to us to pick it up. Also because he new we could look after reptiles for a few days. I just had to label the container it was in with his details just in case the department came and thought i was keeping exotics.

Very soon i will be working at head office as i have taken a transfer there. Will be interesting to see if more of these guys turn up whilst i am working there.

also when it ate, it ate fast and rather ferocious, which is ment to be a common trait for these gex.

ozherpconservation said:
I am doing some research on these little suckers and the impact they have on our native species. I would be very interested to know if anybody has found this introduced species (Hemidactylus frenatus) and native geckoes such as Oedura robusta and tryoni living in the same area? If so, what area? And what species are more abundant?
I have been told by several herpetologists that Asian House Geckoes
have little or no impact on our natives. I find this very hard to
believe when area's where our native species of gecko are abundant
there are no Asian House Geckoes and vise versa.

Thanks,

Daniel

[email protected]

I know a spot in Nerang on the Gold Coast that you could find at least 20 robust velvet geckos each night but now the asian house geckos have moved in and now your lucky if you find one.

ozherpconservation said:
I am doing some research on these little suckers and the impact they have on our native species. I would be very interested to know if anybody has found this introduced species (Hemidactylus frenatus) and native geckoes such as Oedura robusta and tryoni living in the same area? If so, what area? And what species are more abundant?
I have been told by several herpetologists that Asian House Geckoes
have little or no impact on our natives. I find this very hard to
believe when area's where our native species of gecko are abundant
there are no Asian House Geckoes and vise versa.

Thanks,

Daniel

[email protected]

I would agree with the point that they are wiping out our native gex, just on the basis of the way it ate. It was smaller then my marbled gex but ate more and faster. It also was on to the next roach before the first had gone done completly.

Hope that helps to shed some light on the subject.

Hey Luke and Zoe,

If it was an asian house gecko you may have noticed little spines on the tail. I would not be surprised if it was one coming in on shipping from Brisbane or elsewhere. And Daniel i'd say that they are displacing the natives, as I said the robusts aren't around but I could go collect plenty of the asians any night. I'm located at Shailer Park south of Brisbane and we have plenty and they don't confine themselves to walls, I have seem them on the pavement at least 3 or 4 metres from the nearest wall. Also at my parents place at Redcliffe you will find them living in the garden well away from the house and lights in palm trees etc.

soulweaver said:
As Zoe said we had marbled gex at the time and it looked nothing like them, it also lacked the ability to climb walls as it had claws rather then suction cap type toes

It definitely wasn't an Asian House Gecko then! They can climb anything!

Daniel

lol fairy nuff! i dont remember seeing spines on the tail either but it was a really tiny tail!

When I went to Baffle Creek(north of Gladstone) these things were roaming around in a patch of trees and shrubs at least 20m away from the house, on a good note though, in the shed I saw a MASSIVE dtella, this thing was huge!

I also found a baby gecko about 5-6 years ago in the Melb CBD. Don't know what sort it was but I gave it to a guy I worked with as he said he kept snakes. He was going to let it go but I doubt that very much now.. I wasn't into Herps at this stage so he identified it as a gecko?!

soulweaver said:
. I believe that it actually hid inside one of these boxes as it had just been unloaded from a shipping container.

Luke,

Where had the shipping container come from?

:p

Hix

We've got a lot of them at home in Brisbane. They make that kinda like a rising bark or tweet sound, had me stuffed for sometime what the noise was. I caught one, they are super fast and acrobatic and can climb anything, I fed it small crix, it caught and ate 10 in about 2 minutes. It was very pale, almost albino like with a wedge shaped head. I let it go the next day.
Tourett

how did the gex get here?

they are funny things, if you see them by day they look diff to at night

Yeah the shipping container came from U.S.A. I did wonder if it could of come from the states. Was told that containers get sprayed on arrival but as i was moving monitors at the time it would of been very easy for it too hide inside with the monitor and then climb out the handle part when i moved the box.

SW,

They don't all get sprayed on arrival. If you find one again in a shipping container from overseas, then call either Australian Quarantine, your Natural History Museum's Herp Dept. (does Melbourne have a museum?), or contact someone like Chris Banks at the Melbourne Zoo. Any of those people will be able to tell you what to do with it.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back