Another Road Victim....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hugsta

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Another one of our poor australian herps was cleaned up by a car a few days ago. This poor guy is suffering from a head trauma after a car ran him over. He is also suffering some brain damage, possibly due to inflimation on the brain. He can't walk forward, only backwards, he can only open one eye due to the injuries, he has a possible fractured matella, which I hope to have X-rayed by David Vella this week. He continually tries to put his head in a tight circle onto his back. He cannot eat or drink although he has occassionaly tasted the air. All fluids are orally dosed by myself, the poor guy can't even hiss. He is around 4ft long.

It sadens me to see such large reptiles being hit by cars, this injury, from what I can gather, was by accident and not intentional, but still, can't help feel sorry for the poor buggar. I hope he makes it through and goes on to live to a ripe old age in the bush where he belongs.

Cheers
Daz

The matella is like the patella, but on the mother's side...

Good Luck with him Hugsta.. Poor bloke

that is a very upsetting set of pictures and story hugsta.

Best of luck with him

It sadens me to see such large reptiles being hit by cars, this injury, from what I can gather, was by accident and not intentional...
Poor thing :cry:

Still, you gotta wonder how someone can not see such a large animal. :roll:
What if it was a small child. :shock:
Some people just drive way too fast in this country! I see it all the time :evil:
SLOW DOWN!!!!
Not to mention those that deliberately hit animals! :twisted:

Re: RE: Another Road Victim....

ssssnakeman said:
what a shame, good luck huggy,
where is the matella?
baz

I might be wrong but I think the matella is part of the skull. Adjacent the eye socket. I fractured mine once. If I'm wrong it's becauze I'm still at work and tired. late planes again coming in from Brisbane.

RE: Re: RE: Another Road Victim....

Eeyo Hugsta,

Sad , sad story mate !!
Luckely there are still people that do care like urself ^__^
Keep up the good work.
I drive an Animal Ambulance myself overhere, so i've seen my share of roadhit pet's and other animals.
( kinda RSPCA work , voluntarily )
Truely hope the little ( or should i say big ) guy is gonna make it okay .

Cheers ,

Tom

Good luck with it Hugsta, although I don't think the prognosis is good.......

:(

Hix

yeah I havelooked after so many lace monitors that have been hit....I have found the best thing for them is leaving them alone in a nice worm enclosure and te yeah just lay there for ages and heal themself then before you know it the want to rip your arms off then you know its time to be released...all the best hugsta

If people had any idea what it takes for a Lacey to achive this size they might think twice about driving fast and avoiding wildlife!

I remember stopping to remove a lond necked turtle from the road once only to see the dickhead behind me speed up and deliberately target the turt as it reached the edge of the road, then drive past me giving me the finger :x !!

Here's one who won't be crying when the fuel runs out :). Give some relief to the estimated 5,000,000 herps that fall victim to vehicles each year.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now; hope the Lacey recovers O.K, please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Varanus.

Good luck mate, it is a real shame when this sort of bizzo happens. Onya mate doing a great thing.

I might be wrong but I think the matella is part of the skull. Adjacent the eye socket. I fractured mine once. If I'm wrong it's becauze I'm still at work and tired. late planes again coming in from Brisbane.
hey thanks shamus,i was thinking it might have been a typo and huggy meant to say maxilla,upper jaw? ,i think ?that looks like where the damage is from the pics.
road victims and dog attacks make up the bulk of my callouts for injured herps and it dosnt matter how many you see them, its always a bit heartbreaking.i got an eastern bluetongue last week that is recovering ,thanfully, from a dog bite .she will be released on the weekend.
baz

Are dogs bigger problems than cats are they sssnakeman? I thought cats did the biggest damage.

Don't quote me ssssnakeman on the bone thingy. I was at work much later than normal last night and can't remember exactly. I know I fractured my Zygoma, skull, jaw, feet and pretty much squashed my nose around 18 years ago. That's where I get my good looks from :shock: . I'll try and find out and get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back