Aussie import laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
This may be a long shot, but I am seeking help with a rather tricky situation.
-Short story: I am working on immigrating to Australia. My snakes are everything to me, how can I take them with me?
-My snakes: Jupiter, corn snake
Slasher, corn snake
Enzo, Boa constrictor (BCI)
Nairobi, Boa constrictor (BCI)

-Long story: If my snakes are not welcome somewhere, then I am not welcome. Australia has always been where my heart is, I plan to study herpetology and do rescue, relocation, and education. Aswell as help fight wildfires, in the fire season. I am tossing joining the Australian military as I was in the American military, Marine corps. But again, will not abandon my snakes for my dreams, and vice versa. I'm hoping, praying, and searching for a way to make BOTH possible.
I appreciate you and thank you for your time, as payment here are my babies (in order of list)

Edit: The purple corn is Jupiter, the red corn is Slasher, the yellow Boa is Nairobi, and the smaller Grey Boa is Enzo. they uploaded out of order

Attachments

• 1000006844.jpg
    1000006844.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Snapchat-1447589687.jpg
    Snapchat-1447589687.jpg
    638.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000006627.jpg
    1000006627.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Snapchat-1383478719.jpg
    Snapchat-1383478719.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 0
As a private keeper, it is illegal to import/keep exotic species, so there would be no way for you to bring your snakes with you.

There’s 0 chance of being allowed to bring them to Australia. And no they won’t make an exception. Even zoos with import licenses have to write a billion page report on the risks of bringing in an exotic species from overseas.

Sorry to break it to you like this

Edit: you could get new snakes if you moved here.

Sad to have to decide between immigration and your animals, but with the horrific problems Australia has with invasive species, I certainly cannot blame them for the restrictions. Camels, deer, donkeys, foxes, rabbits, cane toads...the damage these and other imported species turned invasive cause is immense.

There’s 0 chance of being allowed to bring them to Australia. And no they won’t make an exception. Even zoos with import licenses have to write a billion page report on the risks of bringing in an exotic species from overseas.

Sorry to break it to you like this

Edit: you could get new snakes if you moved here.
Animals arent replaceable 😂 I won't just "get new ones" like they're a collection. If they're not welcome, then I am not.
Maybe import laws will change, and give animals that could not survive there an exemption.

Animals arent replaceable 😂 I won't just "get new ones" like they're a collection. If they're not welcome, then I am not.
Maybe import laws will change, and give animals that could not survive there an exemption.
Even if they were Australian native species, they wouldn't be allowed

corn snakes are already wreaking havoc here, no doubt boa constrictors too.
https://www.feralscan.org.au/newpests/pagecontent.aspx?page=newpests_cornsnake

Of course they're replaceable... don't be silly... if they're not a collection of animals, what are they?

This is what they said before the laws were changed, now its too late :pPPPPPPP

I can scarcely come up with a list of any reptiles which definitely could not survive in Australia. Australia has virtually every climate and habitat type other than permafrost (which reptiles can't live in anyway).

Australian herpers wanting to keep exotics tried to make the case that tortoises couldn't survive in Australia, 'I mean, just look at them, they can barely move, they're so slow, they have no defenses' etc etc, totally ignoring the fact that these animals thrive from Africa to Asia to America in the wild, managing to deal with wolves, lions, bears, etc.

Import laws aren't your only obstacle. We can't even import native species into Australia, that's how strict it is, but there is also a blanket ban on the private keeping of any non native reptiles and amphibians. Neither import nor exotic reptile keeping laws are going to change in Australia. As a lifelong keen herper and a qualified ecologist, I'll say this is one of the few cases of the Australian law actually getting it right.

Oh, to give you an idea of how strict Australia is (and I completely disagree with this but it's also not going to change) there is also a complete ban on *EXPORT* of reptiles too. Even if a foreign country is perfectly happy to legally receive them, Australia will not allow export out of Australia.

Your only legal option would be to get your reptiles legally held by a zoo and open a zoo in Australia and keep them in a public zoo. Even then, while the government *could* approve them import if they wanted to, they most certainly would not allow it for species like Corn Snakes and Common Boas.

If you're interested in studying reptiles and educating people about it, it's ironic that you would have any desire to bring exotic reptiles into Australia. Australia being on the eastern side of the Wallace Line has primitive wildlife and is very vulnerable to invasion by exotic species. Even in the New World there is vulnerability from advanced Old World reptiles as seen in examples like Retics and Burms. Australia is a far more extreme case of vulnerability.

I can scarcely come up with a list of any reptiles which definitely could not survive in Australia. Australia has virtually every climate and habitat type other than permafrost (which reptiles can't live in anyway).

Australian herpers wanting to keep exotics tried to make the case that tortoises couldn't survive in Australia, 'I mean, just look at them, they can barely move, they're so slow, they have no defenses' etc etc, totally ignoring the fact that these animals thrive from Africa to Asia to America in the wild, managing to deal with wolves, lions, bears, etc.

Import laws aren't your only obstacle. We can't even import native species into Australia, that's how strict it is, but there is also a blanket ban on the private keeping of any non native reptiles and amphibians. Neither import nor exotic reptile keeping laws are going to change in Australia. As a lifelong keen herper and a qualified ecologist, I'll say this is one of the few cases of the Australian law actually getting it right.

Oh, to give you an idea of how strict Australia is (and I completely disagree with this but it's also not going to change) there is also a complete ban on *EXPORT* of reptiles too. Even if a foreign country is perfectly happy to legally receive them, Australia will not allow export out of Australia.

Your only legal option would be to get your reptiles legally held by a zoo and open a zoo in Australia and keep them in a public zoo. Even then, while the government *could* approve them import if they wanted to, they most certainly would not allow it for species like Corn Snakes and Common Boas.

If you're interested in studying reptiles and educating people about it, it's ironic that you would have any desire to bring exotic reptiles into Australia. Australia being on the eastern side of the Wallace Line has primitive wildlife and is very vulnerable to invasion by exotic species. Even in the New World there is vulnerability from advanced Old World reptiles as seen in examples like Retics and Burms. Australia is a far more extreme case of vulnerability.
I do recognize the fragility of the ecosystems, and the somewhat irony of my snakes. But they're everything to me, in my original post I spoke about refusing to let them go for immigration. I can talk about how a great keeper I am, but that means nothing in the face of natural disasters releasing them.
Import laws are helpful for prevention, but they're doing very little on the feral cat issues, bc they're kitties. Not to mention they're one of the animals that's allowed to be imported, while that same animal is causing detrimental damage to the entirety of Australia, not just a territory.

One of the biggest obstacles next to this is the housing crisis, that the Australian government is more keen on bringing immigrants in while allowing their current citizens to suffer and on the verge or already homeless. Allowing richies to own multiple vacant properties, it's aggravating and devastating and I don't even live there.

Even if they were Australian native species, they wouldn't be allowed

corn snakes are already wreaking havoc here, no doubt boa constrictors too.
https://www.feralscan.org.au/newpests/pagecontent.aspx?page=newpests_cornsnake

Of course they're replaceable... don't be silly... if they're not a collection of animals, what are they?

This is what they said before the laws were changed, now its too late :pPPPPPPP
My kids. A family.
People who view any animal as a means for a collection, shouldn't have them.
I'm not here to argue, get bashed, or bash others, I'm here to seek USEFUL information. Thank you for your few points of information, other people are replying with information that is helpful. That is where attention will now lean.

I do recognize the fragility of the ecosystems, and the somewhat irony of my snakes. But they're everything to me, in my original post I spoke about refusing to let them go for immigration. I can talk about how a great keeper I am, but that means nothing in the face of natural disasters releasing them.
Import laws are helpful for prevention, but they're doing very little on the feral cat issues, bc they're kitties. Not to mention they're one of the animals that's allowed to be imported, while that same animal is causing detrimental damage to the entirety of Australia, not just a territory.

One of the biggest obstacles next to this is the housing crisis, that the Australian government is more keen on bringing immigrants in while allowing their current citizens to suffer and on the verge or already homeless. Allowing richies to own multiple vacant properties, it's aggravating and devastating and I don't even live there.

If your reptiles are everything to you, and that's non negotiable, you are not coming to Australia. It really is that simple. I guarantee when you're older, in a way you can't imagine right now, two corn snakes and two BCIs standing in the way of which country you want to live in is going to seem as absurd to you as it does to me now, and when I was a kid, I thought the same way about my first four or five snakes too.

It's not 'somewhat ironic', it's absolutely hugely ironic. If you actually care about reptiles, you won't be irresponsible with reptiles.

The cat argument is a bizarre one I've been hearing for decades. Yep, absolutely, cats are incredibly bad, they have directly caused the extinction of many species of animals in Australia, it's absolutely tragic, it's terrible, it's horrific. We made a hideous mistake of bringing them to Australia. Cats are now feral throughout Australia and it's perhaps impossible to ever reverse that mistake. That being the case, with cats already naturalised in Australia, bringing more pet cats in does a total of zero to change anything. If you've already given your cold or flu to your girlfriend, making sure you have no contact with her isn't going to prevent her from having it. If you're already in a swimming pool, throwing water at you won't make you any more wet. Cats are already fully widespread across Australia, the mistake has been made, there is nowhere left where cats have not had access to and the law allows us to take them. It's a similar situation in Australia with Goldfish/Carp, various birds, rats, mice, etc. They're already here, they've already become naturalised, so keeping them out is a moot point. While rats and mice have absolutely caused plenty of extinctions, banning them would be pointless (though you won't be able to import them either).

In comparison to relaxed mammal laws and massive mammal extinctions in Australia, we have had very strict laws about reptiles, we have never allowed the keeping or private import of exotic reptiles, and hey, look at that, we have very little issue with reptiles causing any ecological problems!

The argument of 'people are allowed to keep cats and mice and rats and they cause so many extinctions so I want to do the same with reptiles' only makes sense if you hate reptiles and want to see them die in the same way we've seen with Australian mammals. The cat laws are stupid, we all agree.... which means the reptile laws make perfect sense.

You say you're here for useful information. Okay, I'll give you some which you are in dire need of...

Forgive me for being harsh here... but this quote from you:

"People who view any animal as a means for a collection, shouldn't have them.
I'm not here to argue, get bashed, or bash others"
really is silly. Demonstrating an honestly quite irresponsible and selfish attitude towards reptiles and then telling other people they shouldn't have theirs even if they may be keeping them perfectly responsibly, and then in the next sentence saying you're not wanting to argue, get bashed or bash others, is contradictory, hypocritical, and just inappropriate. Don't be selfish, hypocritical and judgementally bash people, then say you're not wanting to argue or get bashed... or bash others.

"Hey, reptile lovers! I'm a foreigner and I want to do something irresponsible with reptiles in your country, putting the reptiles you love in danger! I know it might be ironic and irresponsible, but it's what I want to do! You shouldn't keep reptiles if it's not for the reasons I tell you are okay. I'm not here to bash anyone, and I don't want anyone to be mean to me!"

See how nuts that is? Mate, someone needs to give you a wake up call.

It seems like you're quite young, when I was a teenager I was saying and believing some pretty stupid things, heck, I was a university student (in a laboratory with a gecko hooked up to the computer I signed up on) when I first posted on APS (cr@p, I just realised that was over 20 years ago... I feel old) and 20 years ago I probably said comparably stupid things on this site to what you have here, it's fine, we've all been there, but if you want to get into education, you have a long way to go and need to start with yourself, and as a fellow reptile enthusiast I encourage you to be more responsible with your attitude towards reptiles, and as an Australian I bluntly request that if you do end up coming to Australia you grow a healthy amount of respect for our reptiles and country, which you clearly currently lack.

Sincere apologies for being blunt, as I said, we've all been there, I'm sure I've said at least equally stupid things, and I appreciate some of the people who have given me a piece of their mind when I needed it. Best of luck with your herpetological journey.

All u can do is put in for a import permit, may not happen, but at least u tried. Good luck
either you haven't been listening or you don't understand Australian bio security laws. There is NO way anyone can import exotic reptiles into Australia as a civilian, even zoo's have a hard time

Latest posts

Back