Bearded dragon help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireflyshuffle

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a 7 month old pygmy bearded dragon. I went to the vet in newcastle last week(Sunday) as my beardie went off her food for three days, and kept sleeping in the cold spot. So the vet told me i have a dragon thats ovulating...Dont worry so much just keep puting her in the warm end (33degrees hot 24 degrees cold) and give her plenty of room to dig.
She has no other mates shes my only beardie. she is continuously licking everything in her tank and along the glass seeing her reflection(i guess to find a mate?)
Then i rang the breeder to let him know(as i left a msg on hes fone b4 i went to the vet) He told me its to young to ovulate, and she must of had a few cold days(as it was raining here)
Can anyone give me any other ideas to why a beardie acts the way she has been?(she only eats live prey say one cricket a day lately. when i first got her she would eat around 6 or 7 crickets and woodies mixed
so i tried silk worms and she loves them but never eats salads. Shes stil the same today(But it is raining outside) . i woke up she was next to water bowl.
Ive been doing some research in my manual and ive only come down to one other thing.. Ive noticed shes sitting up very high, not letting her abdominal area touch the ground, and last time she pood it seemed to be a struggle.. i had a poo sample done though and he just said there were two little pineggs. mind you he never told me anything about treating them, or gave me anything.
Please help. everyone i ask tells me something different
Thanks

First advice, change your vet. Pin eggs??? aka Pin worm eggs? if so it will need to be treated. Pinworm may make it look bloated and make it feel a little off, and therefore be picky what it eats...also the weather wouldn't help. Give the same vet a call and get a direct answer from him, if it has eggs it has worms and needs to be treated. Saying that, don't stress over it too much, Beardies (and other hungry lizards) often get pin worm, they are easily treated and you should get your lizard checked regularly, end of summer is the ideal time, so they don't carry the infestation through winter brumation.

Oh thanks jasonL i will call him today,hes "meant" to be a very good herp vet(sugarloaf animal hospital) so dont be worried about her laying in cold end all the time? And what about her digging? the vet said they can lay eggs even if not put with a mate and to build up a corner of sand for her to burrow.. i did that, but should i need not bother?
Thanks again JasonL

Is she carrying eggs? did they xray her? can you feel the eggs? (they usually feel like a sock full of marbles) At 7 months old, I would think it highly unlikely she would be going to lay a clutch of slugs, esp so early in the season, though without the lizard in my hands I can't tell. If she is gravid, then yes you will need to give her a spot to lay, I'd get the worm problem sorted first, then wait till the weather improves to see if she picks up.

Thanks mate, your a champ, honestly. I just rang the vet and they wanted me to pick up some meds for her but its an hour away so there faxing the details off to my local vet right now so i can pick it up there.
Ill leave her the sandpit so she can dig if she wants lol. i honestly couldnt tell you if i can feel marbles in her, shes to tiny for me to poke and prod. shes rather chub though. ill try the worm treatment first and like you said go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back