Beardies and drinking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadalupe

Not so new Member
Reaction score
If bearded dragons do not like drinking from still water, would a waterfall be better for them?

I have never tried a waterfall, but my guys like to drink from their water bowl. I trained they from hatchys using a water dropper, dropping water on to their snout and they would lick it, then gradually started dropping on to the water bowl, and they now drink from that.

strange that it is said BD's wont drink still water...what do people think they drink in the wild? i can assure you there are NOT many waterfalls near Broken Hill

i spray mine daily and bathe her every now and then

Some of mine do, some don't, a beardie gets most of its moisture requirements from their salad, movement does help to get them interested. An easy and cheap alternative to a waterfall is to hang a plastic cup 20 cm above the water bowl with a tiny hole in it, fill up the cup and let it drip into the bowl, after a few weeks they'll get the idea and the cup can be removed

I would look in to how much a waterfall would effect the humidity in the enclosure, this could impact the health of the animal/s (i.e. Respiratory Infections).

Spraying them every now and then and bathing them once a week usually does the trick.

Rahni said exactly what I was going to say Guadalupe! Having a waterfall in the beardie's enclosure will increase humidity a little "too much"... I would suggest against the use of a waterfall...

Mine drink the odd bits out of the bowl. But most of the time they just lay in it lol or when they have baths with my girls in a shallow tub

Last edited:
All Mine drink from the water bowl, i normally spray them but every now n then ill put a water bowl in there n they love it.
79d68ebc-aa59-d8d6.jpg

agreed. Waterfall may cause too much humidity and thus causing RI. I mist every second day and bath once a week. During shedding i bath every second day

I don't think the waterfall will create any humidity if you keep it in the cool end away from the heat. if theirs no heat on the waterfall and proper ventilation their shouldn't be a problem then the moisture can't build up and create humidity

hmm but the cool end is still a warm 28ish. Only way to tell is to actually experiment with it

beardie drinking is turning into a massive problem in my area......it's not just the drinking tho, it's the vandalism,littering and loud music at all hours that are really turning my neighbourhood upside down......the woma's have threatened to move out if the noise doesnt stop, and my darwin has threatened violence in the way of eating every beardie in the house.

cant we all just get along

View attachment 234531

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back