Bird Eating Spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to watch Pilbara. Like the TV, you can change the channel. I gave you ample warnings. :D Or are you so scared that you're fascinated and have to watch, to see what grisly pics go up next?

This one is my favorite.

chow4.jpg

:p

Hix

I know of a guy that had a bird eating spider and he said they can climb glass - so what he did was get a spray bottle and spray around the top of the tank befor opening, so he wouldn't get any suprises - Hope this helps :)

Looks like a Therophosa leblondii but can't be sure just from the front, beautiful spider.

Yeah, T.blondi, mere crickets aint enough to feed one of those, get up to 30cm legspan. Nice spiders :)

Yup, T. blondii. The Goliath Birdeater, from Brazil.

Last Pic.

chow5.jpg

:p

Hix

Yes I had a couple in the UK, one was about 25cm across and ate meat. It's actually the second largest spider, wait until you see a full adult Psuedotheraphosa apophysis, it's legs hang over a dinner plate.

boa said:
it's legs hang over a dinner plate.

now THATS what i want, i can put it on a leash and say "sick 'em rex"

mmmmmm attack spider

Herps4Us said:
I know of a guy that had a bird eating spider and he said they can climb glass - so what he did was get a spray bottle and spray around the top of the tank befor opening, so he wouldn't get any suprises - Hope this helps :)

www.animalattraction.com.au sells this product. Teflon PTFE 30 (250ml)

I use a teflon paint i got from matt, there are quite a few on the market, i can vouch for this one, its around 20 bucks a bottle, but you will only ever need to buy one, you can paint it around the top of a chinese container to stop your woodies and cokies escaping when your feeding them to your babies, or around the top of your spider tank to prevent spyder getting up there. Another use i have for it, is around the top of a lidless meal worm farm, they cant get over it to get out the top, so no lid, its great.

Angel

Holy crap mate, I just got home and saw all the pics in one hit. Thats to much graphic arachnid violence for me in one hit. Im going to be lying in the shower in the fetal position crying myself to sleep tonight. Wouldn't mind one of those bad boys, might help keep the inlaws away.

sweet pics great deterrants for the inlaw and I guess unwanted family and friends. I'd have to get me 1 spider eventually

Spiders can climb over the fluon paint. Dunno bout the teflon stuff.

I keep and breed alot of 'bird eating spiders', and I wouldn't use the teflon stuff for them. Reason being is when they climb the glass the have the ability to climb back down again, but if you have the teflon on there, they can slip and fall, their abdomens rupture very easily. Also, in my experience, 'bird eaters' are extremely sensitive to chemicals as most of them from the pet stores :evil: come from unspoilt rainforests deep down in burrows, they just aren't used to being exposed to it. Just have a good secure lid and they can't get out, weight it down for extra secruity. If a tarantula is happy, it won't try and get out of the tank (unless it's male).

If you see a tarantula try and get out continuously it is the first indication you aren't keeping it in the condition it likes. If one of mine used to do that, I would change to a smaller tank, keep it darker or give it more humidity. I haven't had any of mine climb the glass for a long time now.

Do they make saddles for those mules, Im thinking about strapping on the six shooter! Hey nome, got any for sale?

while on the subject of spiders, i was given this guy yesturday-

spider_and_frilly_012.sized.jpg

spider_and_frilly_018.sized.jpg

spider_and_frilly_013.sized.jpg

"I agree with 'Nome', a happy spider shouldn't want to try to escape its container, try a change in environment, housing, medium etc. As for teflon paint; its great stuff however its no substitute for a lid for a spider container, it would be irresponsible not to have a lid on a tank or container used for the housing of spiders"..........

eeek...icky spiders!!! :-( ...nah, just kiddin, they are fascinating creatures and surely enough, i am tryin to get over my fear of them...but its takin a LOOOONNNG LONG time! lol Any advice to help with my persistent arachnophobia??? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back