Bird Eating Spiders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just found out my spider is Selenocosmia crassipes

I can't seem to find anyone selling any at a resonable price. All the pet shops in the area want at least 80 squid for small ones and 150 for the big ones that are apparently usually taken from the wild, which I don't rate. Shouldn't be poaching animals from the wild to make a quick buck. Especially when one can breed them.
Can anyone hook me up with some?

Herps4Us said:
I know of a guy that had a bird eating spider and he said they can climb glass - so what he did was get a spray bottle and spray around the top of the tank befor opening, so he wouldn't get any suprises :)

The guy who posted those pics originally said that when cleaning the glass, or the tank, the spider would occassionally surprise him and try to tag him. He'd been hit a few times and he didn't like it at all.

This isn't him.

But it gives you an idea how big some spiders can get.

:p

Hix

God damn, thats huige.... wow....

what is that one you posted tommo?

it would be irresponsible not to have a lid on a tank or container used for the housing of spiders
I never actually meant to suggest this..... i dont keep a lid on my worm farm.... but thats completely different....

I personally couldnt sleep in the same house as a spider like that knowing there was no lid on.....
My suggestion was actually aiming towards the spiders trying to escape while you are putting the lid on, or waiting there to tage you as you take the lid off, but i dont keep spiders and those that do say its a stupid idea... so dont listen to me...

Angel

anyone got a basic rundown of what species are availible if i was gonna pick sum up id go for trapdoor species are there any... anyone got pics?

angelrose said:
God damn, thats huige.... wow....

what is that one you posted tommo?

Angel

i think its Selenocosmia crassipes, ive heard from 2 experts that it is a member of the Selencosmia family, but none really specified on what sub species it is. im assuming its S.crassipes becasue one mentioned that they are common in the darwin area. the other said though that the taxonomy for australian spiders is screwed up so most are guesses. its common names are barking spiders, whistling spiders, australian tarantula or bird eatting spider.

BTW, i have noticed 2 levels of anger which it showed while i was trying to get it into a box while i nudged it with a snake hook to get it going. first it reared up, which it had done before showing alittle bit of its fangs(at the time i thought that was teh full size of them. then with the next nudge the fangs went from3mm long to about 10mm long and hooked them over the bar of the snake hook :lol:

Geez thats even bigger than I thought Australian species got. I Definately want one now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back