Brumation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambbosbread

Reaction score
I have a varanus gouldi that i assume has started brumation he isnt at all active and doesnt wanna eat, he just hides in his burrow and sleeps and sometimes moves around, its been around 3 weeks without food. im not overly concerned cause i know they can last awhile, but are there any things i should keep and eye on . He is 10 years old and has never done it before so was a little shocked. he is a very healthy boy and so has alot of fat deposit in his tail to keep him going.

any help/feedback would be awesome. Cheers

Couple pics of him one eating prior to his sleep and one in his burrow from a week ago just confirming that he was ok lol

Attachments

• 20230828_124027.jpg
    20230828_124027.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240422_122851_Video_Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240422_122851_Video_Player.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't have V.gouldi but I do have a pair of V.varius who have been outside for 7 years. They never stop eating in winter but they do slow down considerably. Depending on the weather in your area it's probably colder than usual. For instance ,mine normally eat twice a week.The male would eat 2 medium rats and 2 chicks,female would eat 1 small rat and 2 chicks, yesterday he had 3 chicks and she had 1 and that's the first feed in more than a week and they probably won't eat for another week or 2. I wouldn't worry about yours if he's healthy

Ok thanks for that, im in Melbourne and i guess its cold. but no different from every other year at this time.. part of me is tempted to leave the food in his enclosure and hopefull the smell gets him abit excited and comes out.

My almost 9-month-old Rosenbergi is still eating pretty much as normal despite the cooler temps.

Earlier today he ate a Chicken Neck (cut up into pieces) and 4-5 Chicken Hearts. A Day-Old Quail yesterday. Kangaroo meat and Superworms (covered in Cal / D3 Powder) the day before and so on.

Although the carport still stays relatively warm (for the most part) given the heat coming from two cars.

i poked his tail today to see if i could get his attention he just hissed at me and went deeper into his tunnel that i couldnt reach lol. i just think he is a sleep boy and isnt interested in moving .

Back