Brushing myself off...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjamind2010

Reaction score
After all that commotion on Friday I have since calmed down and composed myself. The dust has settled.

I have a plan to get these animals started again, particularly the female, but both had a respectable feeding history, so restarting them should not present any major challenge. It turns out I'll need to try a few different ways. I will hold off restarting them until after Xmas, to give them some space so they have a couple of weeks without any interference, but will change water once or twice a week as the case may be - one of the womas loves to tip the water bowl over, have no idea why, but it's just a habit, so I only give him a little bit of water, enough to hydrate him but not enough to spoil the bedding if tipped over.

If anyone thought I'd ever give up on my womas, they were wrong. I said that all in jest as it were. We all have our bad days and frustration can get the better of us all at times. I have never given up on my pride and joy, despite any frustrations I had. It's time for those who felt I was being too unreasonable to let go of their judgments and forgive.

I learned a great deal from this, of course, the vast majority of the grief I have encountered with reptile keeping has been because of feeding problems. I'm sure there are still some people who are reluctant to change once they've made a judgment about me. That's fine by me, but, there's one thing I wanted to say to that - if they ever need me for assistance or help at some point in the future, say Armageddon happens (ie, major theft, flood, fire, and they lose all their animals/breeding stock) and I breed some nice womas that they really want, I may bring those harsh judgments into consideration - but of course, the kind-hearted bloke I am, I would never turn them down because I am not a judgmental person, never have been and never will be, I believe in second chances, my empathy will always be intact, that has never changed over the years in spite of how I may have been treated by others, and it never will.

Empathy, the true kind, I have found to be a rare thing - this has, for better or worse, for right or for wrong, been my experience throughout most of my life. The fact that I have Asperger's syndrome and major depression and anxiety does not, in any way, affect my empathy at all, even though that sadly happens in so many cases of those suffering with these disorders. Empathy is something that I will never lose, because I know only too well what it's like to deal with judgmental people.

To anyone who I feel has judged me, I forgive you.

Hope this finds you all well and enjoying your animals, whatever your passion may be. My passion is the Woma, has been for some time and will be so until my dying day.

Best wishes for the festive season, and you all have a safe and merry Christmas.

Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see that you have settled down. Your first priority is to get these guys feeding again. That is your first and foremost consideration. You owe these womas that.
If you get the temperatures correct, everything will fall into place.

Good luck to you.

One of my spotted pythons love's tipping his water bowl, i got a couple of little river rocks and put it in he bottom of his bowl to stop it from tipping, my woma has a big glass bowl that my partner made, it looks like a little 1ftx1ft fish tank cut in half but on a 1 and a half bottom. If that makes sense :/ lol.
Good luck getting your babies to eat :)

Ben,

Whilst it takes courage to come out and say you had a bad day, I really didn't appreciate you approaching people the same night and saying don't buy my animals. I have thick skin, but a long memory, unfortunately it will take more than a thread and an apologetic email to regain my trust. Good luck with your feeding and i hope someone can get them going for the animals sake. The male was possibly the best woma i have ever bred.

Gird

Good to see that you have settled down. Your first priority is to get these guys feeding again. That is your first and foremost consideration. You owe these womas that.
If you get the temperatures correct, everything will fall into place.

Good luck to you.

I'm sorry Fay but I'm going to have to contradict you.
This kid needs to go to the doctor and get on the right meds for his condition.
I hope he gets his woma's to eat but honestly he needs to concentrate on improving his mental health rather than engage in dramatics.

Apparently I had to titrate down on my medications because they were not working the way they should. It worked very well, and I'm back to my old self again. But, sadly, some damage may have been done to mine and maybe other's reputations - I accept full responsibility for that, but I will doing a lot of research on how these anti-depressants work. I hear horror stories about people doing terrible things while being on them. This is the trouble with these drugs, they sometimes don't know what is the most appropriate dose or medication to treat a certain disorder - especially depression because that covers many areas, and anxiety is even more difficult. Most of my depression and anxiety stems from trauma in the past (and recent future - July this year to be precise), and while I was born with mild brain damage that has made my life a struggle especially in the social sense, I am still able to function at a decent level, but it does take time to get to know me, many people at the local church I go to think I'm a bit funny but they still understand that I will never be 100% "normal". I never touch alcohol under any circumstances, or illegal drugs, so I am good in that respect. I try to do the best to make sure I eat well and keep myself in shape. But as you know, the best laid plans of mice and men...sometimes things go wrong. My life experience is Murphy's Law in action.

Michael, you are right, I had absolutely no right to carry on like I did that night, I was just overreacting, yes I should have been more careful with what I said, I just went stupid and crazy. It was not good I know. I'm 100% certain that I'd never ever do anything like that again, but just I hope it isn't already far too late. I take full responsibility for that stupidity. If I recall I only spoke to one keeper about your snakes when he sent me a PM about wanting some womas, I don't recall mentioning it to anyone else. I was just being stupid in saying what I said. And he was right, you are a fair and honest man. I don't doubt that at all and I should have kept my opinions to myself.

I heard along the grapevine that my male was the pick of the clutch, so I really should not be complaining at all. He was (and will be) a great feeder, so I assume once he starts again, which he most likely will, he will continue to thrive. I think it may have been sudden changes in the weather that put him off the food. When I start him again after Xmas I'll use smaller rat size so as not to intimidate him, and try a few different techniques, but he should take fairly decent sized items - 150g rats should not pose a problem, but I will try 75g rats when I try again.

And the female is also very nice, she has lighter colouring that I am very fond of, but the male is the nicer looking of the two. They are both beautiful snakes. I think the issue with her was that she was stressed and traumatised during the train trip back home, I kept the womas separately in their own pillowcases and the pillowcases were tied properly so they wouldn't be able to get out of them. The bucket was a fairly large sized bucket, enough to keep two small womas in their own pillowcases without any problems. I would never ever transport 2 full size adults in that bucket, but smaller sub-adults no problem.

As I said, I take full responsibility for what happened that night, and will do my very best to make things right again, no matter what I need to do to make up for what I did and no matter how hard it will be, I would gladly do it. I'm taking it one step at a time. I believe I will succeed.

Ben

It takes balls to admit you are wrong ben. I know things were said that night and now taking your state at the time into consideration, i'm ready to give you another chance. Good on you for admitting you were out of line.

Sarah

I feel that this thread has run it's course. No more needs to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back