Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Reaction score
hey guys,

just wondering your thoughts on buying animal interstate from people you dont know (from something like ads on reptiles down under) its a big thing to trust someone on the net that they'll just deliver the animal..

what are your thoughts on this?

Gerry I have bought quite a few herps from interstate and havent had a problem yet. You need to exchange details (in QLD) with each other such as Name, address, Lic # and (depends on how you are paying) Bank details. I always ask for photos of what I am buying first, if I cant get pics I dont buy.
If someone is prepared to give you all that info I rekon you're pretty safe.

yeah I got pics etc.. animal looks good. I guess its a dodgy thing for both parties involved being the internet and all. I'll get all his details first

I bought some monitors from a guy based in SA.
I'm pretty sure you will have to give each other all your details by law.

Ive asked him for all his details.. so we'll see. is there anyway of verifying someones liscense details etc

I know someone is South Australia who is trustworthy.

1 of 592,589 results containing population south australia (0.07 seconds)
Answer: South Australia, Australia: Population: 1,529,400
2003 estimateAustralian Bureau Of Statistics

That makes 1,529,399 , plus the population increase in the last 3 years plus the illegal immigrants and visa overstayers, that I cannot vouch for.

good luck in all things snakey

Hi Gerry,
If you are buying from Matt Bonnet, you can trust him completely.

Fay

Mark Sim is another exceptionally trustworthy South Australian.

Buying interstate always poses a risk but I have bought a few animals interstate and have yet to have a problem. In fact, my car spends more time parked at Aus Air Express than it does parked outside my house :)

Gee I remember only a few years ago when there were no pics avilable and people brought animals on some ones word, mostly it worked fine and everyone was happy. now unless there are pics people dont want to know and it makes it harder for some one like me who doesnt have a digital camera, and hates computers and all the messing around involed in sending pics etc. Oh well its there loss not mine.
Interstate or same state its errelivent really it depends on who your dealing with, yes there are some low lifes in the industry, but word gets around pretty quick and they dont tend to last long.

Rob, if you had a digital camera Im sure you'd change your tune. It is (expletive of choice) easy. Im the laziest man on the planet and I can do it. You dont really need to do anything except plug the camera into the USB port and it even takes the pictures(Im lieing now).

Yeah Rob, I'm as dumb as batsh** when it comes to technology and I can do it.........If I can, anyone can.....and I'm sure your a lot smarter than me!!!!!! It's the digital side of it that makes it easier!!!!

Fay

Also forgot to mention, David Heading down there in SA is great to deal with as well!!!

Fay

hiya gerry, sorry to burst your bubble, i bought a diamond python from a guy in Qld and i live in Vic, so was a big trust thing, and got ripped. The diamond is supposed to be 3 years old, but looks like he is about 18 months due to been so underweight (850g). Plus he is covered in lumps which the vet and my herp club president cant tell me what they are, so is costing me a fortune in vet bills atm to have checked and path tested. If possible get as much info on the seller as possible, (if you know of anyone in their state ask them to go check on the reptile for you). Personally i will never buy from interstate again, but i am guessing that what happened to me is not the norm, but as they always say, once bitten twice shy.
Good Luck
lisa

yeah thanks for all the info guys. and yeah that sucks lisa. I can see why you'd never do buy interstate again. Anyway Judy (herptrader) knows of this guy and hasnt had any issues which is re-assuring. thanks again for that judy

Unhealthy animals should not be sold full stop, simple as that. Like Ive said word gets around quick in this industry so they end up cutting their own throats anyway.
As for the pics, I hate anything to do with down loading, pasteing and all those other funny word thingy things you have to do. My animals always sell anyway and once a few go the next minute I havent got enough to go around and everyone wants more, so its manily only when I sell a couple of excess down the track that it seems harder.(and these are normaly the pick of the bunch that Id pland to keep for breeding). Weird eh.

The nicest reptiles I own have come from SA and I live in Melbourne.

I have, however, had an unfortunate experience buying from someone in QLD who also (disappointingly) happens to be a member of this forum. I bought a western netted dragon from this person and convinced a friend of mine to buy some painted dragons from the same person. We were told that they were in good nick and so didn't (and I must admit, STUPIDLY) ask for pictures and when the animals turned up we discovered that the male painted and the westie were extremely thin. They had NO condition on them whatsoever which convinced my friend and I that they were old animals that the seller just wanted to offload. Two or so weeks after these guys arrived the male painted died, and a week after that my western nettie died as well. I just don't understand how someone could be so heartless as to sell sick/old animals to someone who paid good money for them. Admittedly, as I said before we were silly not to ask for pics first...but it's the principle of the matter, you know?

Anyway, just my opinion.

Michelle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back