can someone identify these?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was thinking military dragons but the ctenophorus juvies all look the same to me

These animals are definately juvenile C. pictus. The individual in the 2 left photos is a female and the other four photos are of a male or 2 males.

I agree with Eipper that these are the northen form of C.pictus. In addition to the observations made by Scott the northern form also tend to be duller in colour then the southern types. The males particularly do not exhibit the vibrant bright blues, yellows and reds that are often associated with Painted dragons. The colouring in this form tends to be much more subdued if evident at all insome individuals. I have kept this form and the more brightly coloured southern variety during my time in dragons

This form could very well be a distinct subspecies. Its just waiting for someone to do the taxonomic investigation.

Robertirwin 2008, the military dragons that come from the area you identified are the subspecies gularis. I keep these in my collection and I can assure they do not look like the dragons in your photos.

Cheers

Reptiles that are highly variable within one area can be extremely variable at either ends of their distribution if they occupy a large area as pictus do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back