carpet or diamond????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ackie

Reaction score

hi ppl
i hav had this so called carpet python for almost 2 yrs now
she used to look like a costal carpet python, but her patterns hav now changed and she is lookn a lot like a diamond python.
talk about confusing.
i think the guy must hav went into the bush and found a clutch of eggs while mummy python was away, and not realising that he had got the wrong spilota.
anyway i spoke to a lady from the national parks and she said that i could be a throw back. she said that out every 5000 carpet pythons one will turn into a diamond python.
am i lucky or hav i been conned into buying a wild cought snake?
i think i hav been conned.
wat do u think????

Have you got a photo you can upload onto the site so we can have a look at the snake. When you bought the snake were you sold a Wild Caught animal or was it Captive Bred. As Carpet x Diamond's can happen (although rarely) in the wild, most are cross bred by breeders (who know's why) but they are for sale none the less.

Ben

How big is she - maybe a photo then and now might give us a clue.

Do the Coastal Carpets have the same number of Labial Pits as the Diamond - I'm not sure.

8)

diamond or carpet.

hi everyone.
in the northern range of the diamond pythone there are natural intergrades..this is the name given to diamond x coastal carpet

there is also a few around that are breeding true intergrades but there are also people crossbreeding this species with the wrong form being used such as diamond x south east queensland coastal carpets. this is not the true form of intergrade.
as for the lady at the parks department saying one out of every 500 turn into a diamond.. that is absolute rubbish i would put her on the spot and ask her to back that statement up with some sort of proof , but thats just me.
anyway the only way a diamond can come out of a carpet is if they have shared bloodline..in which case to intergrades will produce all intergrades of differant visual degrees. if uyou pair a diamond with a carpet you will then get a mixture of visual diamonds, visual carpets and visual intergrades.
a throw back comes when there is a say carpet line that has diamond blood maybe as far back as grand parents..then every now and again you will get a throw back to a previous bloodline..

like the others have said with out a pic to look at we cant say what you have one way or the other..
but hope the info provided helps in some way..
cheers paul.

If one of the original wild caught predecessors was an intergrade that looked like a coastal, I'd assume it was possible to get a throwback to the diamond patterning. Maybe it would require the genes be in both parents but it's always possible the parents were related too. :roll:
I have an intergrade that came from the wild. She looked like a coastal to start but is getting the diamond colouration but with coastal patterning. See my gallery if you are interested. Does yours look like a true diamond (ie with diamond colour and pattern?) :?
I would say if it started life looking like a coastal but changed to look like a diamond, it must be an intergrade as all the diamond hatchlings I have seen look like diamonds. But I haven't seen that many and am not a diamond fan so don't know much about them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back