Children's python beginners questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you got your snake yet??? If not when you get your snake from the breeder or store etc they will tell you what your snake is currently feeding on, you will then be able to use that as a starting point and look at how it feeds. Someone else will be able to give you the ratio but that involves weighing your snake and weighing the food item etc which to me is a PITA... and btw Skittles is my first snake and it really hasn't been that hard to learn as I have gone along.

Just curious... where abouts do you live and if you don't mind, how old are you? Just that this will help with the type of advice you will end up getting.

Thankyou very much.
I dont know very much about snakes at all. I am doing all of the research I can before I get mine. Right now I am in maths supposed to be learning triganometry haha.
Is there anythiung that I should reseach about more than anything else?

You are going the right way about it by doing your research before purchasing. Generally you want to focus on 3 main points before getting your python and they are Enclosure, Heating/Lighting and Food source. If you can get those out of the way before you have the snake in your hot little hands, the majority of the hard work is out of the way. Others may have a different opinion depending on their experiences but those 3 factors have always been my main focus

and he is using your fingers as swallowing practice, you will want to upgrade his food size accordingly.

Hey that sounds vaguely familiar... :lol:

Oh and Hindy, put that phone away and get on with your class work before your teacher gives it to the DP. :?

You are going the right way about it by doing your research before purchasing. Generally you want to focus on 3 main points before getting your python and they are Enclosure, Heating/Lighting and Food source. If you can get those out of the way before you have the snake in your hot little hands, the majority of the hard work is out of the way. Others may have a different opinion depending on their experiences but those 3 factors have always been my main focus
I will definantly have the enclosure and the heating and the enclosure set up before I get him

- - - Updated - - -

Hey that sounds vaguely familiar... :lol:

Oh and Hindy, put that phone away and get on with your class work before your teacher gives it to the DP. :?
Not on a phone mate, the government gives us all laptops once we reach year 9

Not on a phone mate, the government gives us all laptops once we reach year 9

Spoilt buggers. Back in my day we had to draw our own calculators; in the dark; with a crayon. :)

LOL well that answers my question from earlier. My YR8's are currently doing some grammar workbooks which has given me some time to catch up on things here... Either way you won't win any brownie points using your Lenovo for the wrong reasons. :)

If you can get the enclosure up and running to check your temps that is already half the battle, having a known food supplier ready is the way to go too but some of the stuff you are worried about will be answered when you buy your snake and discuss things with the breeder. You have already made a great start into the hobby and will love it once you have your little one.

LOL well that answers my question from earlier. My YR8's are currently doing some grammar workbooks which has given me some time to catch up on things here... Either way you won't win any brownie points using your Lenovo for the wrong reasons. :)

If you can get the enclosure up and running to check your temps that is already half the battle, having a known food supplier ready is the way to go too but some of the stuff you are worried about will be answered when you buy your snake and discuss things with the breeder. You have already made a great start into the hobby and will love it once you have your little one.
Thanks alot mate.
The biggest battle was convincing dad.
I already have 4 pygmy beardies and I am getting another 2 or 3 :D

Spoilt buggers. Back in my day we had to draw our own calculators; in the dark; with a crayon. :)

CRAYONS!?!?! LUXURY! When I were't a lad, we 'ad noooo crayons! We 'ad to use a stick dipped in our OWN blood!!!!! :p

Way back when I was a boy, we were lucky if the gubberment let us keep our fingers :shock::lol:

I still reckon an abacus is the way to go ;)

- - - Updated - - -

You will know...

The mouse should be 15 to 20% larger than the width of your snake. Not so big as to make it look like it has swallowed a golf ball, but not so small as to not be noticible.

I tend to disagree with you on that one sniper, I reckon up to around 50% bigger than the snake, if not more ;) I am serious too.... My lot (in my signature below) all eat rats over twice the size of thier mouth, otherwise I have to give them too many smaller ones. Last feeding I was one short for my MDP who eats 50g rats, and one of my macs didnt eat its 3rd 80g rat.... yarrum (my mdp) was looking at me with big puppy dog snakey eyes so I gave him the rat thinking it might take him a while to chug down because it is about 3 x the size of his mouth (4 x the size of his neck) :lol: blow me down... he scoffed it in no time, didn't struggle at all!.... backwards :shock::rolleyes:

I am not saying anyone should try to feed thier snake rats of gigantic proportions all the time... nor try to see how big a rat it can eat, but I am sure most people have seen the video of the big python that ate a baby hippo, on david attenborough life of reptiles, the big python that ate a deer or gazelle or whatever it was, so they can eat an amazing size of prey..... 15-20% wouldnt cut it with my lot, they would want 15 of them :shock::lol:

My old saying is, if you look at the rat/mouse and look at the snake and think to yourself "Hmmm..... looks like it might be too big for him?" it is prolly about the right size ;)

All just my opinion

do you have to move them up to a wooden enclosure or could you just upgrade the tub to like a 100 liter tup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back