Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

improvius

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, Sophie the Savu python likes to pretend she's a chondro.

sophieapril2005.jpg

savondro.jpg

-Imp

I remember when I when to Fiji when I was about 13 they had some type of Python they bought out and showed us tourists. They mentioned the mongoose were killing them all off at the time. I thought it may have been one of the fijian ones - (I did a quick search and couldn't find a mention of a Fijian python).

I guess I originally expected these Liasis snakes to be kept in Australia, since they originate so close to you. Savu is situated in East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. Yes, I live in the USA, but our favorite snakes are from your part of the world, which is why I like this website. We are currently keeping Savus, Children's, anthills, and ball pythons. And the one odd Cal king. But the pythons are our "main" snakes, and we've just started breeding them. We're expecting the Childreni to drop her eggs any day now.

(And yes, I'm a he.)

-Imp

Have you had any experience with water pythons (Liasis fuscus/Australian "makloti"), improvious? How do the Savu pythons compare? Liasis fuscus is my favourite python by quite a long way and so I'm quite interested in some of the other Liasis, which is a little frustrating considering there's only one other one I've had the opportunity to have anything to do with.

We've only had the Savu. It's the smallest of the Liasis, which is what we like about it. They are like miniature makloti. I guess we are wimps, since we only like little tiny pythons! I am always tempted to get some water pythons, but I am trying to keep a limit on what we keep.

-Imp

I hadn't realised the Savus were so small, what is their average size?

Are they (and makloti) alert and spirited like a water python? Or more dull and dopey like an olive?

Isn't the Anthill python the smallest of the Liasis (Antaresia) family???

Not since it was moved out of Liasis. (Liasis is a genus, by the way. The family is Boidae.

Adult Savus will be around 3-5 feet. Um - around 1.5m max, I guess.

The Anthill is the smallest known python, period. But it's not a Liasis anymore. It's an Antaresia.

-Imp

perthensis (Anthill) are apparantly the smallest of the genus Liasis, well here in Australia at least.

In NSW they are still Liasis. Same as Childrens pythons and Stimmies. In books they are labled as Antaresia, but on the licence list they are still Liasis.

When it comes to taxonomy, you're much better off listening to biologists than the government.

Sdaji said:
Are they (and makloti) alert and spirited like a water python? Or more dull and dopey like an olive?

Um - I'm not sure how to compare. The juvies can be very nippy, but even they seem to calm down well enough once they are out of their tank. They are certainly more spirited than any of the other pythons we have - but seriously, it doesn't take much to beat a ball or Children's. And they eat like little pigs, which makes me pretty happy.

-Imp

Sdaji said:
When it comes to taxonomy, you're much better off listening to biologists than the government.
Are you implying the Government doesn't know what it's talking about??? ;)

Are you implying the Government doesn't know what it's talking about???

No, but that's also true, Wrasse ;)

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that the licensing department is run by people who don't have a clue about taxonomy, which is fine, they don't claim to and they don't need to. They just follow whatever is considered conventional knowledge at the time they make their rules and as long as there is a name which goes with the species, it's good enough. The phylogenetic relationships of the species we keep aren't relevant to the regulations, so there's no urgency about keeping the terminology up to date and for them to try to do so would be a waste of time and money.

The phylogeny of all species is the same wherever you are, Craig ;)

Name-calling

That's correct. According to Geordie Torr in 'Pythons of Australia' (2000) at least.

"...the Pygmy Python (Antaresia perthensis) is the smallest python species in the world."
Also known as the Ant-hill Python, it averages 50cm, maximum 70cm.

Technically, it should be called the Termite-mound Python, as that's where they're sometimes found.
Not ant-hills. Should the genus be called Termitesia??
In fact, all species of Antaresia have been found in termite mounds.

Lord Cogger reckons they average 40cm with a maximum of about 60cm.
Interestingly, in the 2000 edition of the 'Bible' he states that Antaresia (the "Children's Pythons")
are "readily distinguished from Liasis by having two or more loreal scales." As opposed to one.

As for their genus, - [Wilson & Swan] in 2003, and [Swan, Shea & Sadlier] in 2004 all go with Antaresia.
So there you go; NPWS is out of date it seems!
I'm going with the good Doctors' opinions.
Antaresia it is then. ( or is that Termitesia?) :idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back