Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy_boy99

Reaction score
i no crested dragons are a new reptile over here to keep(i think) so i cant find any info on them!:cry: I would be really happy if any1 could post some sites or info on them:D:):D:). I am interested in them and am looking 2 keep 1.:lol:

thanx in advance every1!;)

G'day mate,

I have never kept Crested Dragons, but I know a few people who do. I'm not sure if you are new to the reptile keeping game, but if you are new, prior to getting Cresteds I would suggest keeping and breeding Inland Bearded Dragons, and then another less hardy species like Ctenophorus vadnappa (Red Barred Dragons) or Ctenophorus nuchalis (Central Netted Dragons).

i dont really want netteds due to their life span and i am kind of new to the reptile keeping game, though cant find any info on red barred dragons. PM me some info on them if possible. And im not really keen on breeding, coz i really dont now how

G'day mate,

I am pretty sure I have read a basic article on the captive husbandry of Cresteds, I will see if I can dig it up. But like I said, I strongly suggest getting some experience with some of the less hardy dragons before you dive head first into Cresteds. Their husbandry is more complex than that of a basic Beardie, and I also doubt you'd find a breeder who would be willing to sell their young to someone inexperienced with the less common dragons.

jono, is right they are a little more advanced compaired to other dragons i think it is because they cover so much space in the wild and single males patrol large teritories, have kept and breed them before. vadnappa is a good starter, but they are a rock dragon not like the crested.
they require decent enclosures and are better breed outside. have only breed one pair in side in a pit like enclosure measuring 2mtrs by1.5mtrs. they are stunning looking dragons. you can pm me for more info or questions.

A bit of Googlisation has revealed that Colin Kranz published a paper in the VHS magazine Monitor, entitled "Captive Breeding of the Crested Dragon". I believe there are a couple of VHS committee members on the board who will be able to help you out with a copy.

Im going to go with bearded dragons, but i need some help. Do i "HAVE" to have a 100$ thermostat in the enclosure to adjust temperature or is there something cheaper i can use to set the temperature? Do i need a thermostat/thermometer at the cool and warm side? What degrees should it be in the day and in the night? How do you "cool" them and when do you cool them? I dont want to breed them so do i have to cool them? Finally, What do i do during brumation and how often does this occur?

thanx in advance

cresteds dont make very good pets if thats why you want them, they dont make the best display animals either they are very skidish and flighty. other small dragons make great pets and display animals. the netteds are great life span 7yrs to 10 even.

i have heard netteds only live for 1-3 years. I did some research on them and that is what came up

G'day mate,

Central Netteds normally live longer than that. You can expect at least 3 years out of females, and normally 5 or more out of both sexes. Some of the small species of dragon like Ctenophorus pictus (Painted Dragons) have a life span similar to what you described.

If you want a pet that you can handle and interact with, don't get anything other than a Bearded Dragon.

that is rubish! all of mine would be dead 5yrs ago. have kept netteds for a number of year inside and out. they are excellent dragons and super entertaining each with their own personallity. don't know where you came up with the lifespan figure, painted and peninsula dragons have a shorter life span of about5 to 6yrs have seen older animals.

i have heard netteds only live for 1-3 years. I did some research on them and that is what came up
I Have several netted that are between 4 and 8 years old ,they should be dead a long time ago according to you information

G'day mate,

All that information is available in several books available from several different places. To answer your questions...

When setting up my animals I always follow the KISS approach - Keep It Simple, Stupid. The less complex and enclosure is, the less there is to go wrong. For one or two Bearded Dragons, I would house them in a 1200 x 600 x 600 enclosure, with a 50mm lip at the front and sliding glass doors. For the substrate, use newspaper, gap sand or red desert sand. For UV, a 2/3/4 foot fluro with whatever brand of UV tube you choose installed, run into a timer which I will mention below. For heating, I would install two light fittings, one fitted with a 100 watt spotlight globe, and the other with a 25w blue globe. I would run the spotlight into a timer, and then both light fittings into an IMIT thermostat, which would be located in the middle of the enclosure and set to 26 degrees. This would mean that your Beardie would receive a day night period with UV, but it's enclosure wouldn't get to cool during winter. If you wish to brumate your Beardie, you can simply adjust the timer, thermostat or both.

Others may do it differently but the above set up worked wonders when I kept minimal animals years ago.

Keeping reptiles isn't cheap, I always recommend that new keepers keep a couple of hundred dollars aside to take care of problems quickly, such as vet trips.

A 4 foot enclosure will probably cost you $300-$350, unless you or a family member is a bit of a handyman and can build you one, then it will halve the cost. A 4 foot fluro fitting is $25, the UV tube is between $25 and $30, IMIT thermostat is $35, light fittings are $5 each, light bulbs are between $1.50 and $5, sand is normally $20 for 20kg, and a timer is normally $10. All up the enclosure will be around $500 ready to go.

WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM? my enclosure was 50, uv fitting and uv-140, OMG, thermostat 100, 20 bucks for 20kg, try 45. Shops around me are a scam

WHERE DO YOU GET THIS FROM? my enclosure was 50, uv fitting and uv-140, OMG, thermostat 100, 20 bucks for 20kg, try 45. Shops around me are a scam

Normally the large hardware shops like Bunnings are pretty good for stuff like globes and fittings. And for the rest just shop around especially with the sponsors of the site. they normally do pretty good deals with thermostats and the like. Just have a look on their websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back