Deformed Carapace longicollis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michelleryan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently completing my PhD on longicollis. Whilst sampling the other day I came across one with a 'pushed up' carapace. I have captured and tagged approx. 400 and have not seen this deformity before. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas what it could be from, or if you think it is a natural deformity? It had no repaired cuts/injuries in the carapace and was within the normal weight range. The first two pics the turtle is on the left, and in the thrid on the right. Thanks
Thanks
Michelle

Attachments

• carapace1.jpg
    carapace1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 88
  • carapaceone.jpg
    carapaceone.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 76
  • carapace2.jpg
    carapace2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 86
  • carapace3.jpg
    carapace3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 74
Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the site. John Cann would be the man to ask. He sometimes turns up to the HHS meetings. Or he does his snake show on Sunday down at La Perouse.

All the best,

-H

Hi Michelle,

Without physically examining the turtles, it is difficult to offer any conclusive answer. However, from the photos, it appears that it may be a natural deformity.

If it is, then there are several possible causes.

Sometimes when eggs are deposited, they can be damaged as they are dropped into the nest chamber. Perhaps this turtle's egg was not quite perfectly shaped.

It is quite common for neonates to display some form of minor deformity: curved marginal shields are one example. A different carapace shape when compared to siblings is another.

Or, perhaps this turtle suffered an injury when it was quite young, before the shell had hardened.

michelle, what aspect of longicollis is your PhD about, interested.

michelle, what aspect of longicollis is your PhD about, interested.

I am looking at the future viablility of longicollis populations in Western Sydney. And under that umbrella I am looking at a number of aspects:

1 - Roadkills - The effect that roadkills have on the viability of the population by looking at who is getting killed, what time of the year, if females are gravid when they are hit and how this affects the pop.

2 - Water quality - We have dams on campus with varying water quality so I am comparing the health and structure of the pop.s between dams of varying water quality. We also have a water reuse system on campus so we are looking if that also affects them.

3 - Also changes over time - in 94, 95 and 96 a population was marked on campus and so I am looking at how many maintained a home range.

and also the general population structure and health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back