Diamond Python Winter Feeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CC_Viper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've got a diamond/coastal cross python and he's gone off food for the past 6 weeks. As I am new to owning a snake I was wondering when I should try and feed him again.

I've owned the snake since Nov and he's been on a 2 -3 week feeding schedule and has accepted food without issue until recently. The snake is approx. 3 years old and was purchased as a rescued pet.

Any insight would be appreciated.

In addition I am curious how many diamond owners have experienced the snake going into their water bowl on an ongoing basis. I can assure everyone that there are no mites present as well. He'll bask as usual the go into the water bowl for extended periods. The tank temps are 30'C in the basking area and about 20'C in the cool end.

I've had diamonds for 9 years now and none of mine get fed from April to October, they are very healthy animals and seem to benefit from the time off, lean diamonds are healthy diamonds. As for the water if you are sure there are no mites, maybe he just likes a swim how and again.

If its your first snake and you`ve only had him since November don't be surprised if he has mites and you just don`t know what to look for. He may not but I wouldn't rule it out all together. One of my diamonds spends a lot of time in his water, the others not so much.
Also as already stated your diamond doesn't need to be fed this time of year (April-Sep/Oct)

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of the water thing...I have a Bredli that seems to love his water every winter.....As soon as the temps cool and he starts 'wandering' his enclosure looking for female company he takes regular 'dips' in his water as he cruises his enclosure. There are no mites present.....it is just something he does and seems to enjoy. Some snakes jump in their water with little invitation....others don't.

there is a book called .....Keeping and Breeding of Australian Pythons by Mike Swan. Write that on your letter to Santa this year or look it up on Ebay. Lots of information in there that will help you.

Thanks guys, I've got a few books including the one mentioned and they have plenty of info. I am also sure there are no mites as the snake was treat for them on 2 occasions as a precaution. The first time was before I went to the reptile VET and he also suggested another round of mite spraying even though there was no sign of them.

The water thing is strange as he'll bask for a while then go into the bowl sometimes it seems like a few days before he comes out. I'm not sure if he is venturing out overnight though. I know he'll soak before a shed but he only shed a short time ago.

Check his eyes and see if there is any white powder in or around the eyeball. Its a clear indication of mites

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well in that case don't worry about it not feeding, it's winter and it's normal

It has now been 7 - 8 weeks since my snake last ate so I offered him a rat yesterday and he ate it. Although he didn't strike the rat as per normal at least he ate it...

As said before theres really no need to give your snake a feed in the middle of winter. Maybe the reason it didn't strike as normal is because its instincts are telling it not to eat.

Yep.....agree with Norm.

7-8 weeks is nothing in terms of not eating......God (.....or whoever if you don't believe in the guy) designed the snake this way. I think my Spotty is coming up about 65 days since last feed.....She is happy...comes out each day and cruises her enclosure.....and probably won't eat until August/September.

Don't expect an adult python to go gangbusters over food during winter.....they are not programmed to be that way. It is hard to comprehend when you are new to keeping....but it is what they do. If they are in otherwise good health they will eat when they are hungry and that could be many weeks away. Come November you will be posting asking why your python wants to take your arm off! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back