Differences between Eastern and Central Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilsjo2

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering what (if any) the differences are in husbandry between the Central and Eastern dragons.

Understand Easterns are commonly thought to be more aggressive, but beyond that, I'm wondering:

-Optimal Temperatures (slightly cooler perhaps?)
-Diet differences (micronutrients, et al)
-Behavioural differences - eg. do Easterns prefer climbing because their environment would generally have more trees

Many thanks,

Edgar

What particular dragon species are you referring to? If you provide the scientific names so that readers know what animals you are talking about, you would stand a much better chance of getting a useful response. You are likely talking about Bearded Dragons, Pogona barbata and P. vitteceps, but you need to confirm that.

Whether or not lizards are arboreal or partly arboreal is not directly determined by the density of trees in their environment. There are numerous species of almost exclusively arboreal lizards throughout central Australia. If a species makes use of shrubs or trees where available, then it would be appropriate to provide suitable climbing branches in its captive environment.

Hi all,

Wondering what (if any) the differences are in husbandry between the Central and Eastern dragons.

Understand Easterns are commonly thought to be more aggressive, but beyond that, I'm wondering:

-Optimal Temperatures (slightly cooler perhaps?)
-Diet differences (micronutrients, et al)
-Behavioural differences - eg. do Easterns prefer climbing because their environment would generally have more trees

Many thanks,

Edgar
Assuming you are talking about bearded dragons (Pogona) absolutely no differences. I keep both of them as well as pygmy and dwarf beardies and treat them all the same. Similar temps, although slightly lower max for pygmies. Eastern are not more aggressive, I get cuddles from all my big beardies as well as the the dwarfs, pygmies are a little more standoffish.
Eastern do not climb more than the centrals, they are ground dwellers. That is not to say they don't climb, they do need a branch at an angle to choose their optimal basking spot

Last edited:
Assuming you are talking about bearded dragons (Pogona) absolutely no differences. I keep both of them as well as pygmy and dwarf beardies and treat them all the same. Similar temps, although slightly lower max for pygmies. Eastern are not more aggressive, I get cuddles from all my big beardies as well as the the dwarfs, pygmies are a little more standoffish.
Eastern do not climb more than the centrals, they are ground dwellers. That is not to say they don't climb, they do need a branch at an angle to choose their optimal basking spot
Hey there, sorry for the very late reply. I did mean an Eastern Bearded Dragon. P. Barbata.

I found the poor guy burnt by a grassfire on my friends property, very dehydrated and barely able to move. I had an enclosure from a previous Central I had a long time ago, and set him up in there.

I was expecting a bitey, skittish wild creature but he gently hand-fed from day one - it has been bizarre. Totally fine with being handled, as calm as the most domesticated examples I've seen.

One major difference I've seen is their response to a soak! They gulp air and blow up like a fish when they feel water around their belly, like they're preparing to float down a flooded creek.

He's doing much much better now after being wormed and well fed - have been thinking it's time to release him. Is three months in R&R likely to have removed his own survival instincts?

Have been

Hey there, sorry for the very late reply. I did mean an Eastern Bearded Dragon. P. Barbata.

I found the poor guy burnt by a grassfire on my friends property, very dehydrated and barely able to move. I had an enclosure from a previous Central I had a long time ago, and set him up in there.

I was expecting a bitey, skittish wild creature but he gently hand-fed from day one - it has been bizarre. Totally fine with being handled, as calm as the most domesticated examples I've seen.

One major difference I've seen is their response to a soak! They gulp air and blow up like a fish when they feel water around their belly, like they're preparing to float down a flooded creek.

He's doing much much better now after being wormed and well fed - have been thinking it's time to release him. Is three months in R&R likely to have removed his own survival instincts?

Have been
3 months in rehab is not going to affect him, he will revert to wild quickly. Good on you for your care

Back