Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile_Boy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok well i went with my school to bulli tops for an excursion. it was a nice walk until i started noticing some things like
1. GRAFFITI - REALY TICKED ME OF
2.UN-NATURAL DESTRUCTION- PEOPLE DESTROING EVERY THING
3. THE POLUTION - RUBISH,WATER POLUTION,
4. ATTEMPTING TO KILL A TURTLE- KIDS THROWING ROCKS AT ( DONT WANNA KNOW WHAT MY REACTION WAS)
5. people tipping every rock in site looking for things (AS ABOVE)

i am sick of people desroing and rooening( unsure on spelling sorry) rain forests and bushland who agrees

I agree it seems that it's really just getting worse.

You would think these days people are starting to realise the importance of protecting our environment, not destroying it! Makes ya sick!!!

I tend to agree - I have caught kids trying to take maclealy's water snakes and turtles from a local creek. i stop them, tell them I am with the EPA and if they want the $10 000 fine then they should continue with their actions.... Most put them back.. or wait till i'm not looking.

All you can do is educate - and unfortunately many don't feel like being educated - it has to start at home!

If you have children, teach them the value of nature...

Don't let them torture or kill animals, even pests, unneserscarily - many disagree with me here, saying things like "they're only toads" but you need to draw the real line between wild life of all sorts and life!

You will find it is still a minority that ruin it for us all - but it is that minority that does the most damage :(

If you see it, stop it (where practicle and safe)

And that's my lesson for the day :)

Don't let them torture or kill animals, even pests, unneserscarily - many disagree with me here, saying things like "they're only toads" but you need to draw the real line between wild life of all sorts and life!

You will find it is still a minority that ruin it for us all - but it is that minority that does the most damage :(

I totally agree with you on that slm6y. I think if people, especially kids are used to torturing and killing things for fun it only start with pests and then builds up. They see it as ok and it ends up being a "normal part of life" and there is less appreciation for any animal.

I know a few people that I went to school with that tortured cane toads and although a pest they now have no problem with kicking their household pets as they say they can- "its only an animal". It's really sad and so frustrating to hear and see that kind of thing happen.

I think that another problem is that people that see such things happen choose to ignore it rather than do something about it.

Reptile Boy, it's great to see a young kid with morals like you. It's very dissapointing seeing the irresponsible things some people do, but you can't control the actions of others. We are fortunate there are people like you that care about the environment.

If all kids thought like you, the world would be a better place :)

I'll admit while growing up i hit my fair share of toads with the old nine iron, but I don't believe that it's made me cruel to any other animals. I love my dogs and my snakes and wouldn't ever raise a hand to either, I've grown out of it I suppose. I guess what I'm saying is you're right you have to draw the line, but everyone is different so .... yeah.

Where were the teachers during all of this? If it was a school excursion? Tisk tisk
I hate people. :(

Where were the teachers during all of this? If it was a school excursion? Tisk tisk
I hate people. :(

Don't you mean "you HATE stupid people" , erm , I am guessing your a person:shock:

erm

I could be wrong?

Maybe HATE is the wrong word , maybe you " disaprove of stupid people".

yer :D

I DISSAPROVE OF STUPID PEOPLE :D

People will always be people , erm untill the end of the world as we know it in 2012:)

I am not trying to push the "when I was a young lad" angle, but I can recall we got up to mischief but never destructive. It appears to me that a minority of young ones now don't have respect for the environment, fauna and flora. The Council around our way attempt to replace dead or damaged native shrubs and trees. They would only be in the ground a few days and a large number broken or ripped out of the ground. I have witnessed school kids on their way home taking great delight in the destruction egged on by their mates. We have a large pond in a park not far away. It has numerous wild ducks on it. I often see kids throwing rocks at the ducks, their aim to obviously hit them. It is refreshing to see young people like Reptile_Boy voicing disapproval for the unfortunate behaviour of some of his peers. Good on you mate!

i agree that the way kids treat the wild life is realy bad an u can blame not haveing the right eduction about the animals to care or just being rotten little (i wont say it) but i agree the way kids are today makes me glad i never did any of that an the last thing i want to see is kids destroying what takes so long to grow

I must say, I always try and place the logs the rocks back into their original position, but know exactly what you mean! You go through some areas and it looks like a bulldozer has ripped through the joint!) You'd think supposed 'animal fanatics' would be a little more considerate!

Don't even get me started on your spelling! :lol: 8) :D

THanks spilota_variegata., fester

tatelina, believe it or not the teachers watched them do it and didnt say anything

believe it or not the teachers watched them do it and didnt say anything

u think that as a teacher they would of dun some think i wouldnt be able to stand there an look at kids ripping an destroying the place

if only schools had more people like reptile_boy

thanks storm...... oh and the teachers let kids spear sticks over the cliffs at the tops and some rocks and told em all of for that

haha but then again you must remember that teachers these days have no rights to do or say anything cos everything they do or say is pretty much illegal.

The saddest part of this is, the area reptile boy is talking about is known Broad-headed snake habitat, which is a threatened species listed under the Threatened Species Conservation Act, and there are signs that we have placed along the tracks in the area explaining this, and explaining the impacts of turning over bushrock etc, and the implications in doing so.

What was the point in us doing this work to try and protect these animals, if Teachers can't even take the responsibility to read the signs and inform the kids to stop!:(

Firstly - as a teacher I always explain to my class before field trips what I expect.

What doesn't happen, is parents reinforcing this behaviour (often).

Therefore what ever I say goes in one ear, then out the other and they're picking up sticks, rocks etc and just turfing them without a care. Then explaining to them what is wrong just comes up with a barrage of "I don't care" statements. They rip up black boy flowers because they look like spears... It's really tough to explain it to them what they're doing.

It all STARTS AT HOME and I can't stress that enough. All the boys that walked with me on the recent camp were excellent. But one group ahead was a very different story.

I will never let my children grow up and think that nature is a place for us to do as we want because 'there's so much of it' - that attitude is long gone in my family. It's a shame that so many still live in the dark ages!

Sorry slim, not having a go at all teachers, my mum is one herself, but I am having a go at the teachers involved in this incident.

What I'm sure the teachers probably didn't know is that, they are responsible for the actions of those kids, and they could be held liable for the destruction of threatened species habitat.

Its such a shame these days that so many kids just have a blatant disregard for the environment. And I do agree that this attitude comes from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back