Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Near my place a reserve is being opened to use for bicycle riders- the damage made by those guys as they go off the designated trails will be horrifying...

If I was a teacher, I'd vet every student before being permitted on an excursion.

:p

Hix

I agree with slim6y it starts in the home. I dont think i have ever done anything to harm an animal, i even get upset if i accidentally kill a bug! But that is the way i was brought up. Alot of the older generation (not picking on anyone) like my Grandad believe that if the animal didnt serve a purpose you didnt keep it. But kids just have no idea how much damage they do by kicking rocks over etc. Its just a game to them. Good on you reptile boy for voicing your opinion about this we need to see more of it!!

Just a few points:
1- I kill cane toads, yes I am 20years old
2- Im also a pighunter, and will go out of my way to track feral cats when I spot any sign of them. 3- I was an active volunteer wildlife carrer for 9 years (had to quite due to uni), I help rehabilitate native bushland, and am currently involved in a worldwide freshwater ecology project funded by the National Geographic Society. I have never aimed to injure a feral animal in a way that would not be immediatly fatal, and have gotten into more than one physical fight when other people my age think its cool to go shooting natives cause they are too stupid to find anything feral.

Rednut - do you torture the cane toads???

I too kill them, firstly I freeze them then discard of their bodies wrapped in plastic bags to stop other animals eating them and being poisoned. I never torture them... Tho this does bring up the whole freezing argument i guess.

Sorry bout that, last half of my post is missing, didn't even realise the post worked to tell you the truth.....
After my little (big) rant up there I went on to say:
- I believe if you are going to kill an animal, no matter how much of a pest it is considered to be, do it humanely. (Slim6y - no torture, .22cal air rifle pellet through the brain, you would need a chest freezer to take care of all the toads we get round here....but I have used a freezer in the past on other animals when a CO2 chamber wasnt available and we needed to euthenase something we were caring for).

(sorry, that was just to let people know that bringing your kids up to do the right thing, including removing pests, does not mean they will be cruel to animals, beat their pets and be socially mal-adjusted, Im a pretty well adjusted human, despite appearances :))

- What I DO NOT understand is people who can't make the distinction of trying to help the environment in a non-destructive way and people who just want to go and destroy everything because it is "fun". How is random destruction, with no reason at all (besides "fun") allowed to be perpetuated by society?

Reptileboy: Stick to your guns.....I was you about 7 years ago, and now I'm involved in research for international conservation projects (even though Im not even out of uni) and all the brats who spent their time throwing rocks at plovers and wrecking the environment are bored out of their minds, blaming everyone else for their problems. Karma. :p

Just keep on doing what you're doing and eventually people will be coming to YOU, looking for help.

Rednut - We do exist out there - just we're sometimes a bit hard to find!

freezeing

freezeing is humane they slowly go to sleep, pig hunting is also effective as long as it clean and quick and i also cull feral cats once again quick. these introduced species r a complete menace and need to be erradicated. cheers debbie

haha but then again you must remember that teachers these days have no rights to do or say anything cos everything they do or say is pretty much illegal.

Got to agree with you there, mum's been a teacher all her life, now in admin, and I work at a primary school as a groundsman. The teachers who DO want to make a difference and do the right thing often have their hands tied. I myself have had parents threaten to sue me......because I hit a child on the hand.......because he picked up a hatchling coastal taipan to show me :shock:(I was knocking the snake out of his hand, by the way......)

I may have save the kids life, and his parents tried to sue me? :rolleyes:

Anyway, reptileboy, just stick to what you believe in and in a few years time you will be amazed at the opportunities that will come your way, all because people will be able to see you are a genuine person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back