Do Geckos have pre-lay sheds?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ned_fisch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My Knob tail gecko appears to be gravid at the moment and right now this very minute, she is really white, so she'll be shedding soon.
So my questions is,
Do geckos have Pre-lay sheds like snakes do?

Thats a interesting question,as im no lizard person im very curious if they do also,do all lizards geckos,beardys,monitors etc have a pre-lay shed before they deposit their eggs...

nope they just shed all the time

Coming from you with zero breeding experience?

Many geckos appear to have sheds shortly before they lay eggs that can supposedly be referred to as pre-lay sheds. I personally have noticed it in Nephrurus levis, Oedura species, Cyrtodactylus and Underwoodisaurus. However, don't take them as a sure fire way to identify if a gecko is shortly going to lay the eggs.

One other thing, if you cannot find the shed skin from the gecko, do not panic as Nephrurus levis will usually swallow the skin.

Thank you Rocket.
I'll wait and see whether or not she does. Yet she does look very big, so It could be that time.
With your gravid levis that have shed shortly before laying, how long before? Hours, days, or weeks?

Yeah, I caught them eating their skin. before that, always wondered why they wouldnt eat after a shed.

The times can vary but usually, from what I find, it won't take any longer than a week for them to lay once they shed.

In saying that, if the geckos do not find a suitable disposition area, she will retain the eggs. Make sure you have a deep nesting area for her. Either a large mound of damp sand in the tank or put a container in there with the laying substrate (sand, coir, sphagnum etc).

Alright, thanks for your help.
I have one corner of the tank pretty deep with sand, it would have to be 2.5 inches atleast and it is quite damp. Should that be right, or should I supply a nesting box just to be sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back