Does anyone know what this is?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brewl

Reaction score
I came across this guy while in the Daintree Rainforest, walking up a creek to Alexandra Falls, and am curious what it is.

Attachments

• snake 4.jpg
    snake 4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 221
  • snake 3.jpg
    snake 3.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 186
  • snake 1.jpg
    snake 1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 182
I don't have a clue what that snake is sorry mate, without having my Field Guide Book i can't tell you exactly what specie it is, it's a very nice looking snake.
Thanks Tim.

Brewl, I am leaning towards the colubrid species ,it looks to me in the second picture to have a loreal scale (picture isnt very clear ,and when blown up seems to exist,it may be due to the pic though ) also the tail looks of a tree snake type ..it is a very beautiful almost patternless snake ...I am not 100% sure on this ID ...am only taking a stab from what I can make out in your pictures ...
I could totally be wrong ;)

Just found my Field Guide, it does look to have a loreal scale present as RBB said, Im thinking Keelback Tropidonophis mairii to.
Thanks Tim.

Tiliqua and Jase are right - it's a Keelback, albeit a very pretty one. They come in a wide range of colours - the drab ones like brown and grey, but also some very pretty ones like orange, yellow and red. I've also seem them with a very obvious green tinge to them, too.

Mate thats definatly a keelback! ;) ...sorry couldnt help myself.

A bloody nice one at that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back