Dogs and Dermatitis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

missllama

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Today i had to take my baby boy (doogie) to the vet, one wk ago he had his yearly vac etc vet said he couldnt be more healthy, but now he has dermatitis on his belly...
he was given a injection today and some tablets to give him IF he isnt better in 5days, also a soap free all natural shampoo that is safe for dermatitis

has anyone on here had a dog that has been effected by dermatitis before?
if so what did you do to make them better
how long did it take
and is there anything i can do to prevent it or prevent it from getting worse

i asked the vet all these questions but i like more then one opinion because i know vets are not always right so just incase id like to hear from you guys

cheers

Fang the fluff dog has had dermatitis and needed a short course of steroids at one point. Grass and flea allergies can trigger this. Wandering jew (tradescantia) is notorious for causing dermatitis. We now use Malaseb medicated shampoo, which must stay on the skin for 5 minutes as treatment, and Alloveen as a leave-in conditioner. No problems with this regime, other than cost of shampoos. Order online to get it cheaper than at the vet.

my old dog kim she use to get it very bad in summer so we used dermaid. it was the same stuff i used as a kid and even the vet recomemded us to keep using it on her coz it work so well for flair ups

Certain breeds are notorious for getting dermatitis. Time to treat and efficacy of treatment is dependent on cause of dermatitis and whether the triggering factors can be identified and removed.

What's your dog's diet like? Biscuits, tinned food and most 'pretty'-packaged dog meat have preservatives, colours and flavours in them and are processed. Dogs don't take this well and can have allergic reactions to them so it wouldn't hurt to put him on a BARF diet (Bone And Raw Food) for a while and see how he goes. My staffy had a red rash between her paws until I put her on a BARF diet. It took about 3 weeks to clear and she never got it again, but every dog is different. Google BARF diets, and when you purchase the meat (cheaper from a pet meat place than the supermarket) make sure you ask if anything they sell has preservatives, colours and flavours in it. The only brand of biscuits that are free of these nasties is Supercoat, but they are still processed.

I'm not saying this will work, but it doesn't hurt to try. A lot of vet's don't tell you this because they are the ones profiting from the drugs and special (and expensive) allergy foods they sell. They only tell you to try a raw food, additive free diet after you've tried every drug and expensive food that they sell, and a large percentage of the dogs improve after being put on such a diet.

Dogs aren't meant to eat cooked meat. Do you see Dingoes roasting or dehydrating their prey? And I bet a lot of those wild dogs don't have allergy issues like domestic dogs do. A BARF diet is the most natuaral diet for your dog. As long as you formulate it properly they shouldn't need supplements however it doesn't hurt to give them a scoop a week for good measure. Processed foods contain these supplements too but that's because the meat in them looses A LOT of it's nutritional value when processed- that's obviously saying something for processed foods.

Let me know how you go. If you need any more info or a diet formulated just ask.

Soooo many dogs get dermititis, its the main thing we'd get dogs in for at the vet most of the time.
in smaller dogs its usually caused by allergies to grass/other plants.
like pythonmum said most cases its that stupid 'wandering dew', if you've got any of that in your yard, definately get rid of it!!
theres not really anything you can do to get rid of dermititis, but you can keep it under control by washing him regularly with something like malaseb and try and get rid of that plant.
good luck!!

Dogs aren't meant to eat cooked meat. Do you see Dingoes roasting or dehydrating their prey?

I bet they would if had opposable thumbs. ;)

My kelpie had dermatitis until she was about 9 months old. It went away and hasn't come back in 8 years. The vet reckoned a lot of dogs get it as pups and get over it as adults. I guess it could be due to any number of things though - allergies, mites, who knows what else?

I bet they would if had opposable thumbs. ;)

My kelpie had dermatitis until she was about 9 months old. It went away and hasn't come back in 8 years. The vet reckoned a lot of dogs get it as pups and get over it as adults. I guess it could be due to any number of things though - allergies, mites, who knows what else?

Haha! Good one. But you know what I mean- if dog's were meant to eat cooked meat they would have learnt by now, as we did. Just because human's eat cooked meat doesn't mean every other animal should.

There is a million causes for dermatitis.. To find out what causes it you will need your vet to do a work up. It could be food, it could be plants, parasites, immune mediated and the list goes on forever!

Colletts, let's not turn this into a debate about nutrition haha that would go for pages and pages. Dogs do just fine on either diet, raw or commercial. Individual dogs will be unique.

I wasn't planning on turning the thread into a debate, and haven't. I just like to let people know that commercial diets aren't always the bees knees. I'm sure snakes too would do fine on a cooked diet, but we don't feed them boiled rats because we know the nutritional value would deplete, and it's not natural. So why do it to your dog or cat? Probably because it's cheaper and easier to buy commerical food. And yes, I understand every dog is different- I didn't say the dog's diet is the problem, I said it could be. I was only voicing my opinion, as everyone else here has done.

sorry i didnt see these responses

i have previously made a thread about my dogs diet
he gets nothing artificial, i personally cant eat anything artificial and i know how crap preservatives etc are i cant eat them myself so my dog doesnt get them either all natural food for him

i havent had to start him on the tablets, he hasnt needed them since he had the shot the derm has gone away im hoping it doesnt re appear in the next few days

i have no idea why my dog has it and i feel sorry for the little bugger
but i dont dissagree with u on the all natural diets, i personally cant eat anything that has artificial additives etc and i know how sick it makes me so i try to make sure my dog is as healthy as i am even tho he might not be alergic to the stuff i know that it isnt good so he doesnt get it

ps he is a jackrussle x fox terrier if u look on my page u will see a photo of him with a cat, he is long haired and i dont no if his breed is known to get it more then others but he is a mix

Its Very Common In "fluffy" dogs. Ive been told. Tho in dogs like labradors with little fur its not common.

Its Very Common In "fluffy" dogs. Ive been told. Tho in dogs like labradors with little fur its not common.

he has that wirey long hair the area he got it was his belly around his u no what and his back leggs i was going to get a photo of it but it went away fast after the shot if it flares up again which i gather it will some day ill be sure to get a pic to show u guys and see what u think (mainly where he didnt have much fur tho)

Our dog had it as a pup. He was having malesab baths and aloveen conditioner like pythonmum's but we had a lot of trouble with it. Our pup seemed to find it quite painful. We persisted for a while in hope it would get better, but ended up ditching the malesab. The vet was talking about steroids but luckily he's grown out of it now. He's 3 and hasn't had any probs for probably 2 years. He eats eukanubra and can only tolerate advocate as a flea treatment for some reason (all others make him go crazy and yelp until we wach them off! :(). But otherwise we have no problems now! :) Good luck with yours-it's awful to see isn't it. Hope its not causing him too much discomfort.

there's a lot of shampoos on the market at the moment for this stuff, many medicated. however a lot of the time using a soap free intensive conditioning shampoo and conditioner combo will provide long term control of this problem though you might get flare ups from time to time. i like a product called Aloveen, it's an alovera and oatmeal based one i use on my dogs and recommend for a lot of people at work. diet can also play a large part in control of this. provide your dogs with chemical preservative free diets, there are many foods on the market now using natural preservatives in their dry food such as vitamin a and e. amino and fatty acids are also an important part in giving care for the skin providing these either combined in dry foods or in a supplement form helps to keep the skin healthy by naturally regulating moisturizing oils in the skin. one dry food i know provides the above things in Innova available through pets paradise only though you might be able to find other brands by talking to your local pet shops or vets

oh also check to make sure your dry foods are corn free, this commonly causes skin allergies and is used basically to bulk out food making it cheaper to produce though corn provides no real nutritional value to dogs or cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back