elapids in display enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal-shagg

Reaction score
is it possible to have elapids and other venemous reptiles in display enclosures in say a living room of your house? like you would see in a zoo or something ?

thanks in advance.

cheers

not sure on the parks and wildlife restrictions on your state.

however in qld i know they need to be in a locked and sealed room.

but i know of people who have inland tais in their living room.

is it possible to have elapids and other venemous reptiles in display enclosures in say a living room of your house? like you would see in a zoo or something ?

thanks in advance.

cheers

OK in victoria so long as a few conditions are met, not sure about elswhere

Yea thanks for that. Would be pretty cool to have something like that in a lounge room. Even maybe a jungle python in the middle of the room in a talk glass enclosure or something. Pretty cool. Has anyone done that?

I'm buy no means the person to ask about this but by going off what Sturdy said, I suppose one could argue that a living room could be locked and be classed as a sealed room if there were some doors with small locks on them.

I'm buy no means the person to ask about this but by going off what Sturdy said, I suppose one could argue that a living room could be locked and be classed as a sealed room if there were some doors with small locks on them.

the living room has no door,

and we have a few large tall enclosures in our living room however, there is no TV and we all use the ones in our bed rooms.

here the ones we have in the living room

2 bredli and a spencers.

Last edited:
in NSW no

as they have to be kept in a locked enclosure in a locked sealed escape proof room.

I thought that might have been the case in Vic as well... But let's face it, I don't think anyone is enforcing it :lol:

They will enforce it. Either the enclosures or the room need to be locked. They won't be happy if they do an inspection and find unlocked enclosures in an unlocked room. Some inspectors are probably more strict than others though.

All the conditions mentioned can be just as easily met in the living room as anywhere else in the house.
A locked enclosure can be locked regardless of where it is placed and so can a room, be it living room, lounge room or snake room.

..... Either the enclosures or the room need to be locked. .....

In NSW both have to be locked. Locked, escape proof tanks in locked escape proof room. Don't you have to put screens up on windows so that windows are locked and secure as well? And any air vents on the walls, also. I know I read somewhere, how to ven proof a room and this was mentioned. Not sure if it is enforced, though.

the amount of time i spend in there makes my snake room the living room....

Mine is more like a laundry judging by the amount of time I spend in there cleaning something or other.:lol::lol::lol:

also in nsw the room is only alolowed to be unlocked if the person with the appropiate licence is there or some one with the same or higher class licence

They will enforce it. Either the enclosures or the room need to be locked. They won't be happy if they do an inspection and find unlocked enclosures in an unlocked room. Some inspectors are probably more strict than others though.

They only pay particular attention to High Profile people like yourself Sarge :lol: ...ME however....I'm invisible :D

when i got my vens licence in QLD they insisted any elapids are to be in a locked enclosure inside a locked room that only i had access, this included window locks or security screens and something on the bottom of the door to prevent an escaped snakes from getting out of the locked room. They went as far as saying if i am away and my wife looks after the pythons then they and the elapids should be in seperate rooms.

I know everyone thinks the epa are laid back unless you are high profile or someone has dobbed you in for something suspect, but from what i was told when i was visited they are going to start cracking down on reptile keepers and random audits will be happening more often. I doubt if they came around for an audit of your collection they would be happy to see a display enclousre in your lounge room housing elapids.

you could have a feature wall containing elapid enclosures so the glass front was part of the wall ,however the room that contained the enclosures would have to be locked at all times,as well as the enclosures ...someone on here had a great feature wall containing his enclosures with a side door to a little room ..that would be the door, that would have to be locked at all times ...oh and you would have to own your own home or have a very understanding land lord :)

that sounds like a trick idea RBB, an expensive idea, but still trick. I think you would also need a very understanding partner if they aren't also into reptiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back