elapids in display enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well gimme me time lol ....fingers crossed as I put this to my hubby the other night ...the answer I got was "mmmmmmmm"...he isnt a fan of venomous snakes ...and freaks out if I have to bring them home :) so one permanently living with us is really pushing the boundries ...but I am persistant :)

well gimme me time lol ....fingers crossed as I put this to my hubby the other night ...the answer I got was "mmmmmmmm"...he isnt a fan of venomous snakes ...and freaks out if I have to bring them home :) so one permanently living with us is really pushing the boundries ...but I am persistant :)

You have to be like that I think RBB. My missus told me I would have to move out before I got "any" form of snake in the house. The current number is 11 animals with a fair whack of those being potentially lethal. As you can gather she's given up :p

Thats my aim ...he is using the "not untill we are in our own home " excuse now ...so as we are in a rental ..I have to agree...but when we get on our own block at the end of the year ...I am going to start the persistance ...:) .....anyway if he wants that boat he keeps raving on about ...then I am getting my ven(or vens:))

Its a passion and if the other half really wants to stand in the way of something like that without at least trying to accommodate you maybe in the long term its not the right person. Depends which is more important. ;) Him or the snakes.
In my case I compromised with my wife because of the kids(9 and 7). So we don't currently have any class 3 elapids. Oh and she tries as well. For a city girl she isn't to bad these days.

I'm a big believer in that Peter. If someone is truly passionate about something, who am I to stand in the road? Yes it's a relatively dangerous hobby at this end of the scale, but so is driving a car each day, and a zillion other different scenarios.

Anyway, I keep all of my vens in a locked room, and additionally locked tanks. Whilst I trust my 3 kids around them and that they're doing the right thing, they have friends over who aren't as careful and probably a little too curious for their own good, so the risk of anything happening has well and truly been removed as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, apart from the time my daughter wsa minding a lowlands copperhead of mine in her sock drawer :lol: :lol:

lol mosse

im same mate, locked room locked enclosures...

we''re now in the process of moving stuff out of the ven room to allow for more enclosures, to go into the ven room.
my partner is into vens so i got the " if you get a tiger you can get what ever you want"

Its a passion and if the other half really wants to stand in the way of something like that without at least trying to accommodate you maybe in the long term its not the right person. Depends which is more important. ;) Him or the snakes.
In my case I compromised with my wife because of the kids(9 and 7). So we don't currently have any class 3 elapids. Oh and she tries as well. For a city girl she isn't to bad these days.
Peter , I have been with my hubby for 24 years ,married 21 years...As they say opposites attract ..
He is a procrastinator,which at times DRIVES ME INSANE :evil:..but I help him take some risks...;)
I am a JUMP IN THE DEEP and see if I can swim type of personality,which DRIVES him insane at times:evil: ..but at times he keeps me grounded...;)
This senario of him not dealing with me keeping a ven is because he is trying to rule out all the ifs and buts ...what I need to get through to him is ..safety .....kept in a locked box in a locked room ...
First Aid ..is something I know what to do if bitten ,as I catch vens anyway ...
Fear ...is something he will have to get over as I cant help him with that one ..
Excuses ...is wearing thin and I will eventually wear him out with my female ability of nagging him :lol:

Just do what I do and buy them. They get over it eventually. Or pretend they said you could one night when they were drunk.

Rang the department the other week in regard to venomous in outdoor pits here in victoria & 3 times got the same response "an escape proof receptacle" Explained area is surrounded by 6foot 6 fencing (post & rails on my side) & side of house, pits have 2 locks on each, locked gate from back yard & locked access door from garage that also has a locked door leading from house, were'nt interested, got the same reply "an escape proof receptacle". Even told them I got the neighbour involved (don't like snakes) in the overall design of the pits & surrounding area & any concerns they may of had, were'nt interested, Oh yes this came from 1 of their wildlife officers. Thought I was trying to be a responsable reptile keeper with the precautions I had taken. :?:?:?

Attachments

• P5310008.jpg
    P5310008.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 130
Getarealdog,

I would point out that a number of zoos in vic had open top pits housing elapids and they were deemed suitable.....at least your have a lid.

Cheers,
Scott

Rang the department the other week in regard to venomous in outdoor pits here in victoria & 3 times got the same response "an escape proof receptacle" Explained area is surrounded by 6foot 6 fencing (post & rails on my side) & side of house, pits have 2 locks on each, locked gate from back yard & locked access door from garage that also has a locked door leading from house, were'nt interested, got the same reply "an escape proof receptacle". Even told them I got the neighbour involved (don't like snakes) in the overall design of the pits & surrounding area & any concerns they may of had, were'nt interested, Oh yes this came from 1 of their wildlife officers. Thought I was trying to be a responsable reptile keeper with the precautions I had taken. :?:?:?

When is a pit NOT an escape proof receptacle?

Generally speaking, (except maybe Collett's), the commonly kept elapids are not the most visually stimulating of reptiles and the only reason I can imagine for keeping some in the living room is for the brag factor.

Mmmmm.... I have to disagree Nagraj. I reakon Red bellys are one of the best looking snakes around, and some adders are right up there too... But yeah i think you are spot on with this being a brag factor thing..

Ben

Mine is more like a laundry judging by the amount of time I spend in there cleaning something or other.:lol::lol::lol:

sounds just like mine:lol::lol::lol:

just aswell mine are in the garage fully locked ..............................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back