Elapids on NSW class 1

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcaj_123

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Would anybody recommend one of these for getting elapid experience for the big guns which I will get in a few years?

Just wondering on the availability (know anyone who may have some available?) and space requirements.

cheers,
Jack

They're horrible..you don't want them. They're not cheap, difficult to feed, die easily and don't do anything.

G'day mate,

Dpeica was right...and his sense of humour got the better of you. They are in high demand, especially amongst "seasoned" elapid keepers, so they command a high price these days. DeVis Bandeds go for $700+ each, Demansia go for $500+ for non-feeding juveniles...I'd hate to see how much a feeding adult would go for.

Unfortunately they are also quite boring unless you are a die hard small elapid freak, which you have to be to keep them. They are not like a young python where you set them up in a click clack and throw them a mouse once a week.

Oh goodness all the sarcasm on APS... gets pretty annoying for all the people that would actually like to learn don't you think? ;)

Plenty of sarcasm on APS mate, but sometimes it's understandable when the same questions get asked repeatedly. But that's what it's all for...for people to learn.

Okay, asked my dad... He fed his whippies insects and skinks, and they caught some on their own since they were in an aviary outdoors.... In what aspects is trouble usually experienced? How big does an enclosure have to be? I really want to give these guys a try as you can see :lol: ...But that pricetag is crazy, really makes me reconsider

Okay, asked my dad... He fed his whippies insects and skinks, and they caught some on their own since they were in an aviary outdoors.... In what aspects is trouble usually experienced? How big does an enclosure have to be? I really want to give these guys a try as you can see :lol: ...But that pricetag is crazy, really makes me reconsider

Well you cant feed them skinks ( due to various legal and sufficiency reasons, some one correct me if im wrong), and definately not insects as they are not insectivorous.
And I should add you cant take them from the wild these days, dont know what the laws were back your dads day.
Are these the real Demansia whippys or those fake little Parasuta things they get down south?

Last edited:
Just showed him some pics..... of Parasuta and Demansia sp.... he ID'd them as Demansia sp. ;)

And yes you are right, he didnt see them eat the skinks from memory :)

Do you mean he didn't see them eating the insects?
They feed exclusively on frogs and reptiles in the wild, that's why they aren't suitable pets as they are extremely difficult to get them eating on rats/mice in captivity due to their natural diet.

Hmmmm.... Since they are such an active snake, Id imagine they would be better in a larger enclosure compared to pythons...
But sorry can't really help you there, just a suggestion till some one who knows what they are talking about comes along.
If you look through that massive thread on Elapid pics, there's a few people that keep Demansia sp. Maybe give them a try.

If you're getting venemous snakes, then I think there shouldn't be a difference in what snake you start with. They all demand the same respect, whether they're a death adder, or a brown tree snake.

I totally agree, they deserve the same respect BUT! I'd like to start out with an elapid that won't send me to hospital when I screw up if you know what I mean?

Hi kcaj, in the start of this thread you mention 'big guns', if by big guns you mean browns and taipans then good luck to you. We have Browns in our area (Common or eastern) not very common but you learn to watch out for them. I was driving a small car back to my property on dirt road when I last saw one. I stopped to look at it (window closed). It struck the car three times, the last one on the drivers window. They are mean nasty buggers. I'm not sure what they eat but probably anything they fancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back