Enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilefan95

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Today i went into the pet shop and bought my first reptile enclosure!!!
This is what i bought today:
Tank 24X18X18
UVB light
Substrate
Water Dish(no food dish as i am planning to feed the lizard out of the cage)
I know i need some form of heating, wether it be a heat mat or a infrared light. I want to get something that i can have at 35 during the day and 22 during the night! Its for a pygmy bearded dragon. So would i have to get two seperate things or could i just get one?
Thanks
Please Help

I have a heat mat with a thermostat for my python which can be set between 5 and 40 degrees

Yes in centimeters its 60x 45x45
would a ceramic heat emitter work????

is that the reptile one brand enclosure if so I have the same one!
I have a 50watt infra red bulb in that enclosure and it heats the basking spot really well high 30's
and i have my uva/uvb of course.

anymore than 50watts in that enclosure if it's the on i'm thinking of and you will cook it

Yeah, i have a uvb as well im just wondering how do you heat the tank at night?? i was thinking about either a infrared or a ceramic heat emitter so they wouldnt wake him up but would i have to change the thermostat temp every night? or just turn it off?

Oh and its an Exo Terra i got a good deal, everything without the heat lamp and thermostat for 400 so the final price should be about 500

i got mine for $140 as it was the last one in the store, but mine is the reptile one brand, pretty similar.

wow thats cheap, with everything like substate, rocks, wood, and hides and bowls? do you think a heat emitter would work? also would i have to change the pre set temp at night? or should i leave it as the day time temp?

it didnt include anything other than enclosure but all up it was still really cheap as mine came with a full stand and looks like a proper cabinet, I live in QLD so I dont have to worry about my night temps at is never drops below 20c, maybe in the middle of winter i will , but a 40w moonlight bulb will keep it nice and warm I have already tested it,

so do you use the moonlight bulb at night and a basking light at day time?

So would i have to get two thermostats or just one? and if i used a basking light during the day what should i use at night? or nothing?

I use the moon light for heating during the day as well as night for my python.
So I dont see why you need 2 seperate ones for your enclosure. My 100w moon gets 38 deg no worries.

do you change the thermostat at night to make it to about 22 or do you leave it at 38, could i do the same with an infrared?

ur beardy will need basking temps between 40 and 45c, its gonna be hard getting a decent cool end in such a small tank,....

Beardies do alot better in a brightly lit tank, so the basking lights should be bright, not red or moon globes or ceramic heat emitters.

Its a pygmy bearie so its not gonna be a huge monster, and from what ive heard thats a decent sized tank, so are saying i should not have any heat source at night?

Its a pygmy bearie so its not gonna be a huge monster, and from what ive heard thats a decent sized tank, so are saying i should not have any heat source at night?

I have a trio of adult pygmy dragons. They do get quite big (even though they are pygmy :p). I think that size tank would be to small. It just wouldnt give it enough room to move when it gets older. It would do ok for a while. Also once it gets to summer it will be hard to create a good temp gradient between the cool and warm end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back