HELP PLEASE! Juvenile Carpet Python Tub Temps?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alec.R

Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot of mixed opinions on temps for hatchling/juvenile carpet pythons. I currently have a 7L sistema tub with half of the enclosure on a heat mat, the temps on the paper towel get to about 30°C and underneath the paper towel gets to about 35°C (absolute maximum 38°C in some spots), cold side is about 22°C and I’m currently running a room heater to see if I can get temps on cold side to 25°C. Heat mat is on a thermostat and the probe is stuck down on warm side of enclosure. I am getting my first snake in 11 days which will be a jungle carpet python hatchling and I just want everything to be perfect.

Attachments

• IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Aim for about 32 under the paper towel as the snake will go under it. The heat mat should be under 1/3 of the tub to allow the snake to properly thermoregulate on hot days. Don't worry too much about the cold side temps unless it's literally freezing. Main thing is that's there's a decent temp gradient.
Thank you, what do you think the hottest it could handle would be, I will definitely keep it down to 32 under paper towel but in the event that it got hotter what’s the absolute maximum

22 is a good cool end temperature. I've seen wild Carpets active around that temperature. They don't need protection from that temperature, especially if they have the option to be warmer.

They can... probably... handle 35 or more, but you ideally don't want to force them to endure more than 30 and even then only briefly. If the room gets to the low 30s for a few hours on a hot day it won't be an issue, but ideally keep the cool end below 30 at all times and below 25 most of the time. They will handle forced cold extremes better than forced heat extremes. You'll probably get away with some time at or even below 10 degrees with no harm done. You'll quite likely even get away with a short time under 5 degrees as long as there's no freezing involved, but high temperatures can quickly cause permanent damage or death, and dangerous high temperatures are much closer to the optimal temperature than dangerous cold temperatures (20 degrees below optimal isn't an issue at all for a short time, 20 degrees above is completely lethal very quickly and even 10 degrees above optimal is likely to be lethal and probably quite harmful even for just a short time).

Thank you, what do you think the hottest it could handle would be, I will definitely keep it down to 32 under paper towel but in the event that it got hotter what’s the absolute maximum
34-35c just to be safe because it’s a small area . Pythons hate been hot for longer periods than needed I find 22c cool 25-26c medium and high temps 32c and if not eating turn up to 34/35c to get him active if he’s not eating it helps them eat because they know they cant digest the food if it’s cold temps. they know it’s not a good idea to eat even if they want to all this info is based on my Antaresia children’s python I have worked out everything about mine even when he’s about to shed and doesn’t want to go to far I tap on his drinking container “drink drink drink” in a weird tone and he comes out to drink water (I love Aussie pythons they are the best species in the world)

Back