Enclosure Size for Stimson

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadzia

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m a first time snake owner and my partner had a Burmese Python as a child. We just bought home a Stimson Python from the pet shop who told us she’s about a year old. She’s about 35 cm long. The pet shop sold us a 30 x 30 x 40 cm enclosure but my partner feels that it’s too small for her.
We would love some advice from more experienced owners.

I'm not so experienced. I've had my snake for less than a year. The videos I saw online recommended enclosures that were at least as long as their total length. My breeder warned that an enclosure that is too large can dysregulate the snake. My snake (spotted python) at the time was perhaps 30cm and he said stick with the 40x30x30. I did this for a while but after some time, I noticed my snake was almost standing up and bumping their head against the lid. They had grown maybe 5cm by then.

I decided to get a 60x45x45 enclosure, I checked in with the breeder and they were strongly against it as they thought it was too large... but I went ahead anyway coz it didn't make any sense that a snake would panic just because its in a larger space. It made more sense that they might not like spaces that were open and barren. So I filled the space with real plants, rocks, tree logs and a couple hides to make sure they feel snug and safe. As for my snake, they're loving exploring all corners and doing just great! I think if you ensure they have plenty of cover from above and around, you can go bigger.

I'm not so experienced. I've had my snake for less than a year. The videos I saw online recommended enclosures that were at least as long as their total length. My breeder warned that an enclosure that is too large can dysregulate the snake. My snake (spotted python) at the time was perhaps 30cm and he said stick with the 40x30x30. I did this for a while but after some time, I noticed my snake was almost standing up and bumping their head against the lid. They had grown maybe 5cm by then.

I decided to get a 60x45x45 enclosure, I checked in with the breeder and they were strongly against it as they thought it was too large... but I went ahead anyway coz it didn't make any sense that a snake would panic just because its in a larger space. It made more sense that they might not like spaces that were open and barren. So I filled the space with real plants, rocks, tree logs and a couple hides to make sure they feel snug and safe. As for my snake, they're loving exploring all corners and doing just great! I think if you ensure they have plenty of cover from above and around, you can go bigger.
Thank you so much this has made me feel better. My partner bought the 60x45x45 enclosure but we haven’t changed her over yet. In her current enclosure she has no problem stretching her body to the top. We actually took out her heat cable and taped it to the bottom of the enclosure because she was climbing up it and then climbing along the lid which was scary because she doesn’t seem to know how to get down. Maybe she just wants more space to explore.

Thank you so much this has made me feel better. My partner bought the 60x45x45 enclosure but we haven’t changed her over yet. In her current enclosure she has no problem stretching her body to the top. We actually took out her heat cable and taped it to the bottom of the enclosure because she was climbing up it and then climbing along the lid which was scary because she doesn’t seem to know how to get down. Maybe she just wants more space to explore.
Yeah you could give her different levels to climb up and down - using sticks, logs, boxes, rocks etc

Hi all. I’m a first time snake owner and my partner had a Burmese Python as a child. We just bought home a Stimson Python from the pet shop who told us she’s about a year old. She’s about 35 cm long. The pet shop sold us a 30 x 30 x 40 cm enclosure but my partner feels that it’s too small for her.
We would love some advice from more experienced owners.
Your enclosure is fine for a 35cm Stimson Python. They are considered a miniature, compared to most other python species. My enclosure is a display / pet enclosure, 58cm L x 38cm D 45cm H. With rocks, a bath, climbing branches, water bowl, thermostat, overhead lamp and underheat if needed. The enclosure should provide a cooler and warm end. My snake is about 7 years old. Breeders keep snakes in much, much smaller containers successfully. But as pet owners we want to interact and observe the animal so a bigger enclosure can achieve that.

Back