Far out why can't he talk!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
I am a snake Gumby.
I am so confused and sad that I can't get it right for my little fella.

I have a 5 month old Stimson. I have asked about probe heat because I thought ny heats weren't right. I just purchased a freakin expensive temperature gun to find out that my probes are within 1 degree of correct.

I have a click clack setup that I will try to upload pics of but with my technology skills don't hold your breath...

My hot end is 32 to 34 degrees. On this end I have a dark hide that is basically pitch black inside

My cold end is about 24 degrees but ranges with ambient temps some nights getting down to 17. This end just has a toilet paper roll hide.

My little fella has not been out of the hot hide for 4 days. He used to poke his head out but now I can't even see his head.

He last fed on Tue and snapped it up like a champ. Pooed on Wed night.

We last held him 4 days ago and he didn't seem stressed. He cruised around our hands and didn't sliver fast or try to get out of our hands.

We have only had him about 3 weeks.

I fear that he is scared of us and that he is hurting himself by not thermoregulating.

Should I take the darker hide out?

Should I put the towel over his enclosure for a couple of weeks?

Or is this all normal and I'm stressing for nothing?

He is not bitey and I can't think of anything else to tell you.

What do I do???

Does he look milky or dull? He could be shedding and some snakes can be quite shy about this.Did you get any feed,shed,etc record when you bought him.

snakes hide. esp if its a nice dark warm spot. he has no reason to come out except to get a drink. he prob cruises around whilst you are asleep. during they day they often remain out of sight. thats just how they are. nothing abnormal going on.

Either in shed or doing what Stimi's do best.....get up at midnight and if he's cruising around then he doing what he does best...if not ...im sure its shed time..........seems nothing un normal to me...If u can place somewhere alittle warmer so ambient is more in the 20's as stimis can be a pain if they get cool and stop eating and u dont want that with a Hatchie

You've only had him for 3 weeks and he's eating and pooping and he seems happy when you've had him out. all sounds good to me so far.
Hatchies typically shed every 5-6 weeks if fed correctly, so as has been suggested its very possible that he's coming up for slough (shedding) but being so small you may not notice the milky eyes (was hard with my Darwin's and they're a lot bigger ! )
Don't panic yet, leave him be for awhile, don't try forcing him out of his hide, make sure his water bowl is big enough that he can get into it for a soak if he needs to,
A couple of mine turn into hermits when they're due to slough, others will sit with just their head out, they all seem to have their own routine and if this is what is happening with yours then you'll know for next time :)
Take the advice of checking late at night, if he's not out then chances are he's just busy getting his new body ready :)
If you are concerned, lift the hide slightly and check he's still ok, but don't take him out, he will likely lunge as they can't see overly well if their eyes are blue (cloudy)
If you see cloudy eyes then give it 7-10 days once they clear up and you'll wake up to skin and poop one morning :)

I can't tell if he is cloudy.
He was rubbing himself all over me!!! I thought I was just sexy!

The slough chart I received said he was blue on the 26th March but didn't actually say he had shed.

I have just tried to feed him due to me not being able to tomorrow. He refused the feed so I presume he is in shed.

Thank you so much for your help everyone.
Having a new snake is exactly the same as when you bring your first child home!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back