Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakethesnake

Reaction score
I have had my carpet for about 4 days and he seems to very comfortable in his enclosure. He is just under 2 months old, born Dec 22 2023. He has been out for a little explore tonight and is now fast asleep at the top of his branch with the top part of his body resting on the glass. He was also doing this earlier, laying at the bottom and resting his head up on the glass. Anyone know why? Is he comfortable?

Attachments

• 20240210_212428.jpg
    20240210_212428.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240210_212420.jpg
    20240210_212420.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240210_204523.jpg
    20240210_204523.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 0
Is he doing this at night? Looks a bit like he’s in ambush mode so perhaps not sleeping but waiting for potential prey.

Is he doing this at night? Looks a bit like he’s in ambush mode so perhaps not sleeping but waiting for potential prey.
Yes it was at night time.
I brought him home on his feeding day and they said to wait a week before giving him food. Looks like he is getting ready to shed too as his black is going dull.
He wasn't up in the air but resting on the glass like that. He seemed fine and eventually went for a wonder and into his log

Yes it was at night time.
I brought him home on his feeding day and they said to wait a week before giving him food. Looks like he is getting ready to shed too as his black is going dull.
He wasn't up in the air but resting on the glass like that. He seemed fine and eventually went for a wonder and into his log
I’d say if he is doing everything else as he should, don’t worry. Is the current enclosure an upgrade from what he was in?

I’d say if he is doing everything else as he should, don’t worry. Is the current enclosure an upgrade from what he was in?
Yes it's a much bigger enclosure. He eventually moved during the night around his enclosure and water dish back to his favourite log. He has been curled up in there all day with his head popping out. I just looked at him and he now has his head out of his coil. Still no tounge flicking since I got him unless it's night and exploring.
Would he be ready to eat? I got him last Thursday and today is Sunday. I collected him on feeding day before being fed.

Attachments

• 20240211_145543.jpg
    20240211_145543.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240211_145815.jpg
    20240211_145815.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes it's a much bigger enclosure. He eventually moved during the night around his enclosure and water dish back to his favourite log. He has been curled up in there all day with his head popping out. I just looked at him and he now has his head out of his coil. Still no tounge flicking since I got him unless it's night and exploring.
Would he be ready to eat? I got him last Thursday and today is Sunday. I collected him on feeding day before being fed.
That all sounds pretty normal in my limited experience. My girl spends most of the day asleep, either in her hide or on top of it. As it gets later in the day, she starts to stir a bit more and once dark, she wakes up and starts to explore or gets in her ambush position.

Your little guy may be ready to eat again but if the breeder said to wait a week, that’s what I would do. Some snakes would eat every day, if given the opportunity.

That all sounds pretty normal in my limited experience. My girl spends most of the day asleep, either in her hide or on top of it. As it gets later in the day, she starts to stir a bit more and once dark, she wakes up and starts to explore or gets in her ambush position.

Your little guy may be ready to eat again but if the breeder said to wait a week, that’s what I would do. Some snakes would eat every day, if given the opportunity.
Thank you so much. He is such a chilled little fella and shows no signs of aggression when I spot clean or change his water. It's only a few more days to wait and I'll feed him.

Back