feather tail gliders

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barno111

Reaction score
Watching the zoo on channel 7 tonight and saw this amazing feather tail glider! It was sooo awesome and very very cute! Can you keep these little critters? They said that there arent many around or something! didnt quit catch the whole thing on it! If anyone knows something about these awesome little critters, please post some info!

we used to have them at the sanctuary i volunteered at. they are just so tiny! im not sure if they are available on a recreational license tho :( ? we fed them a nectar mix and insectivore mix. u have to have the smallest mesh on the aviary too, they can fit thru most sizes.

Is there anyone out that has these gliders, or even any type of gliders? i reckon they would be a great pet and they way they jumped was just awesome!

my mum came into me after watching it and told me to get some. i have sugar gliders, but they just arent quiet as cute. sugar gliders are still adorable though, cant keep them on a private licence though....

why on earth would you want an endangered small wild marsupial as a pet? one that is barely at all handlable, fearing of your presence, and would do much better in the wild, with its already decreasing numbers.

sugar gliders are available, but unless your going to give them the hours or work, and preparation daily. dont even think about it.

stick with a mouse.

why on earth would you want an endangered small wild marsupial as a pet? one that is barely at all handlable, fearing of your presence, and would do much better in the wild, with its already decreasing numbers.

sugar gliders are available, but unless your going to give them the hours or work, and preparation daily. dont even think about it.

stick with a mouse.

If they are captive bred and reared properly why would they be fearing of your presence? And if kept correctly and all requirements met then why not keep them? It is thru correct captive maintenance that these endangered animals will survive, along with conservation efforts.

stick with a mouse.

LOL feathertails aren't endangered.

Trent.

They've got feathertails at the wildlife park I volunteer at, you can only see them on the night tours, they've also got yellow-bellied gliders, squirrel gliders and of course sugar gliders. As far as I know, feathertails can't be kept on a private licence anywhere in Australia. And I'd have to agree with Kirby, I'm not sure why you'd want to.

If they are captive bred and reared properly why would they be fearing of your presence? And if kept correctly and all requirements met then why not keep them? It is thru correct captive maintenance that these endangered animals will survive, along with conservation efforts.

This has to be the most eye opening post ive read..

are you kidding?

are you kidding?

In a way his right with what he is saying. But i can see where you are coming from kirby.
Some animals could be hard to breed in a captive enclosure. So leave a small animal in the bush. i guess:?

No no no

not in good old qld. [at least] can you keep-em...cheers solar 17 [baden]

are you kidding?

Why eye opening? What is the difference between a sanctuary or animal park keeping them, or me keeping them? I have exactly the same size aviaries in my backyard, I have cared for them while I volunteered at a sanctuary. I can obtain and provide exactly the same diet as they provide.

What is the difference between keeping a feathertail glider or any other small mammal? A dunnart? A hopping mouse?

Please, open my eyes.

Why eye opening? What is the difference between a sanctuary or animal park keeping them, or me keeping them? I have exactly the same size aviaries in my backyard, I have cared for them while I volunteered at a sanctuary. I can obtain and provide exactly the same diet as they provide.

What is the difference between keeping a feathertail glider or any other small mammal? A dunnart? A hopping mouse?

Please, open my eyes.

i would have to agree with jay, if they are looked after properly in a captive private collection what is wrong with that? surely it is better then leaving whats left of the population in the wild to dwindle down to nothing and then become extinct? and whats the difference between keeping them compared to a snake? or a dog? they all have different captive requirements, but if they are met then there is no reason they cant be looked after properly in captivity.

Please, open my eyes.
I'd be interrested in Kirby's opinion on this, I'd have to agree with Jay, if you could provide all the sanctuary can provide, why is it that different? Some would argue the sanctuaries shouldn't keep them too I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back