Field Trip to Smiths Lake, NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A few of us went on the FATS (Frog and Tadpole Study group) field trip to Smiths Lake on the weekend.

It's right by Seal Rocks, so we went for a bit of a swim before the serious business of herping went on. Heres a pic of the beach.

DSCN8428.jpg

It was a great night on the Friday, a hot day and a still night. I think it would have been at least 25degrees. It had been fairly dry recently so there wasn't much frog activity, but a few other critters were moving about.

The most common species sighted was the small eyed snake Rhinoplocephalus nigriscens. We must have seen 6 (probably more) or so over the 2 nights herping and road driving. They were so common that I didn't really try to photograph them, so all I ended up with were a couple of very ordinary photos. Heres the best of some bad shots.

DSCN8545.jpg

See? told you it was ordinary.

The other very common herp was the Leaf Tail Gecko Salturarius swainii. I'd only ever seen young animals from this point, but they adults are much cooler. Unlike small eyed snakes I tried to get some photos, but i wasn't paying as much attention as i should have been. Here are a few of the better photos.

DSCN8434.jpg

DSCN8477.jpg

DSCN8475.jpg

DSCN8470.jpg

Not bad looking animals. A few had those cool orange gecko mites that are prevalent on leaf tails.

Swamp snakes Hemiapsis signata were getting about the place as well. Great little elapids.

DSCN8451.jpg

Another attractive elapid which is usually easy to photograph is the Golden Crown Snake Cacophis squamulosa. They have a great threat display, but most of my photos weren't in focus. I should have been a bit more persistant.
Heres the only focused shot.

DSCN8514.jpg

Some of the members were very excited to see some nice Bandy Bandys Vermicella annulata as a few people had never seen them before.

DSCN8500.jpg

DSCN8491.jpg

It was very disapointing to see a DOR ROugh Scale Snake on the way.

DSCN8485.jpg

The highlight of the trip was definetly the Stephens Banded Snake. Always a interesting critter, they have a great threat display and are easily the most spectacular species we found (some people like bandy bandys, but they are really just wannabe stephens bandeds).

DSCN8536.jpg

DSCN8543.jpg

Like I said at the start, not the best photos I've taken, but decent records of what we found.
A few frogs were found, but they remained unphotographed.

Geeze.. we need a separate forum for these threads.

-H

Great pics H quite a nice selection of reps would have been a great trip by the sound of it :p thanks for sharing!

Great Pics !!!!! love the Bandy Bandys and Stephens Banded.

Whoops! "the small eyed snake Rhinoplocephalus nigriscens. " shoule read "the small eyed snake Cryptophis nigriscens."

Great photo's.........your very modest when it comes to your photography but i would say they are GREAT....Love the leaf tail pics

Have to say how jealous i am since i wasnt able to go on such a trip.
nice pics btw.

snake

good time beach was good, sun burn wasn't ,snakes were great!photos were so so.i had 50 people around me with all of head torches on my bandy photos grrrrrrrrrrr.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited by a moderator:
where did you go(what suburb).... Ive never seen a bandy bandy!! whatkind of snake is that one the person is holding?

awesome shots neph! musta been a great day for all on that trip, great finds too! Love the Golden crown snake and bandys, great spotting :D

it was a frog and tadpole study group feild trip and no frog photos :rolleyes:

I'll have to put some of mine up later

anyway frogs we saw were:
Adelotus brevis
Crinia signifera
C. tinnula
Lim. peronii
Lit. fallax
Lit. freycineti
Lit. latopalmata
Lit. peronii
Lit. revelata
Mix. fasciolatus
Paracrinia haswelli
Pseudophryne bibronii
Pseud. coriacea
Uperoleia fusca

Cheers,
Grant

it is a stephans banded snake.The bandy bandys are so beautiful the photo me and henry have are the first one we picked up .smiths lakes is mid north coast of NSW :)

i missed on out this trip, hopefully ill go to the next one..i gotta go next meeting first loll :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back