Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaclyndaniel

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been looking into getting a first snake. I already have a beardrd dragon on the way so I know im going to need a basic licence to keep both which I will get before purchasing my snake.
I am after a small, docile python. Im thinking either a stimsons or a pygmy. Have the pygmy pythons got any tempermental issues?
Ive looked right into stimsons and generally they are easy going and docile. Is the pygmy the same?
Ive looked at many care sheets but havent really had all my questions answered.
Is it okay to house two pygmy or two stimsons together?
Or even one of each together?
Help is appreciated,
Thanks
Jac

Hi Jac!

The idea of keeping two snakes (of any species) together is a VERY contraversial issue on AP, and you will get varying responses from its members. Let me jump in first and say that i have successfully housed stimsons together (sexed pairs) from hatchlings with no problems (so far!). However, if you do want to do this, you have to follow strict feeding rules. Never feed the snakes inside their enclosure- this teaches them that movement inside their surroundings often means feeding time, and can lead them to attacking eachother when one snake smells like dinner (after having eaten)- feeding snakes inside their enclosures also leads to being bitten when getting the snake out for play time. I feed my pythons separate from eachother, in plastic tubs, and although this does not eliminate all risks, it will help along the way.

Let me just tell you though, that keeping pythons together is always a risk, and if you can afford two enclosures, i would always do that instead. Also hard if getting young snakes to ensure their sexes when keeping together- best scenario is M/F and then F/F. Males cannot be kept together for long successfully.

Pygmys and Stimmys are both lovely, calm, small snakes and i'd recommend both. Have you looked into rough scaled pythons? They're nice too. Most Antaresias are pretty similar, and all great beginner snakes :)

Have fun reading up- may i recommend "Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons" - i bought that a few years ago before getting any snakes and it was a wealth of knowledge!

As previously stated it's a massive risk to keep two snakes together for any more than a few days. It has been done with limited success but most cases end up with one animal being eaten.

Also there is absolutely no conclusive evidence to show that feeding a snake in it's enclosure promotes any kind of behavior I have fed all my snakes for the last 7 years in thier enclosures and never had a problem, where on the othere hand I know people who have, I believe I comes down to the individual snake, further more moving a snake after a feed especially a big feed can cause them to stress, and this can lead to regurgitation which is very bad.

IMO the only reasons you would house snakes in the same enclosure are
1. Can't afford two enclosures.
2. Don't have space for two enclosures.
3. Your a breeder in which case you would probably only have them together for 7 days.
If your reasons are 1 or 2 there is a simple solution be patient you will earn more money and get more space.
Don't be impatient and let your impulsive Desire get a beautiful snake killed never worth the risk IMO.

To answer you question jack, whatever snake you like the best and can obtain, any morelia or antresia (carpets or snakes in the childrens python group) make good beginner snakes.

What I can recommend is avoiding scrub pythons and olive pythons they both get very big and require a fair chunk of expierance to care for. obviously stay away from elapids (venomous snakes).

Aside from the afore mententioned snakes the herp world is your oyster just remember to do lots of reading on the species you decide to keep.

Last edited:
Hey Jac,

If you want something small then the Children's group is the way to go. You might find pygmys hard to find and a little expensive because they are a little more rare than others. The reason you haven't been able to find anything about docile snakes is because it is mostly down to the individual snake. There are breeds that are known to be more docile (Children's, Stimson's) and there are breeds that are known to be feisty (Jungles). However I would trust my Jungle over quite a few Children's that I've met any day. You should know too that a lot of hatchies, no matter what breed, are snappy by nature. So don't get discouraged if you get one that is a bit cranky at first.

yeh. pygmys r quite expensive but SR sells some for quite cheap. stimsons and spotteds r great to start with so look into them and then decide after doing some research

As previously stated it's a massive risk to keep two snakes together for any more than a few days. It has been done with limited success but most cases end up with one animal being eaten.

It has and is done with great success by many people. Its a very small number of people that have problems with it. The good far outweighs the bad experiances. Saying 'most cases' end up with one animal being eaten is just ludicrious, if it were remotely true there would be a lot of unhappy people. I'm not saying she should do it, just the facts.

Stimsoni can be pain first snakes as they have a tendency to stop feeding. For new snake keepers this is generally stressful even though its a 'normal' thing. All the antaresia are pretty basic and easy to keep though, perthensis included, yet they're far more expensive (by comparison) to the others. Unless you want to pay 1k for a slightly smaller childrens python, pygmys are more of a 'collectable' than a pet.

In terms of 'docile' snakes, each and everyone has the potential to bite. If you stick with something small, if it does bite atleast its not as bad as a big snake. ;) Most hatchies are snappy, but soon calm. You get the odd nutcase that is hell bent on biting but, you should be right.

A short and sweet answer a week ago I would have said spotted's but I have just bought two hatchy stimmy's and they handle like a dream (my 6 yr old can easily handle them as they like to grip on well so easy to learn for handling) they are pretty docile too : )

go a scrubby lol now i would say a diamond as that was my first snake and has been great for 6 years

Cheers for all the replys
i have been handling a few from pet shops and looking at all the different patterns. The childrens really appeals to me.
I havent handled a stimsons yet but will soon.
When I get it ill definately post some pics to show the new baby.
Thanks for all the pointers

Two snakes are fine together if they are the same subspecies. I've noticed even species is enough to keep together most of the time. Only time it is problematic is two males during mating season.

@ no- two fair enough, I however still think putting your snakes in a potentially fatal secnario because you can't afford or fit another enclosure is unacceptable.

@ no- two fair enough, I however still think putting your snakes in a potentially fatal secnario because you can't afford or fit another enclosure is unacceptable.
i agree it may work but if it doesnt he will be straight on here having a cry why one ate the other etc

Mate Stimmy all the way for your 1st snake get something fairly well established as a feeder and perhaps close to a year old so it's temperament can be assessed, most young snakes are snappy it's just a fear thing.
Try Snake Ranch if they are within shipping distance my wheatbelt stimsons was from there and he's a ripper!

I know plenty of people who house their snakes together but IMO they are all people with a fair bit of experience. e.g. Zoo's and breeders. If you know that the snakes are suited to live together like they do in zoo's e.g. Adelaide Zoo keeps Woma's and Inland Taipans together and have the experience to do so then go for it. Just make sure to have a backup enclosure in case things go wrong.

I guess everyone breeding snakes are just horrible horrible people. I am in no way unable to afford to house my snakes, I can assure you, or lacking in space.

i agree it may work but if it doesnt he will be straight on here having a cry why one ate the other etc

Haa.

Hooglabah, I have more than enough money for another enclosure. So I hope your not assuming i dont. I have 2 spares now.

The reason I posted the question if two could be housed together is because i have seen it before and i wasnt sure if this was okay.

Thanks for everyones help.
I will just be getting the one childrens or stimsons at this stage.
Not competely sure yet.
Cheers
Jac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back