First shed - Seeking confirmation and advice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tbull001

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought my first snake (Murray Darling Carpet Python) about two weeks ago and I think he's coming up for his first shed.

So far his history is pretty much this...

• Fed him two days after I got him (successful feed) - Tuesday
  • Fed him the following Saturday (successful feed)
  • Generally seems settled in his cage
    • Stopped spending all his time in his hide
    • Spends a lot of time on his log, exploring (in evenings)
    • Has been handled and seems relaxed with this (stretches his neck out, not in a defensive posture).
I decided to move his feed a couple of days (to a weeknight) so we could handle him on the weekends more safely, so pushed the planned Saturday feed out to this Sunday just gone and went to feed him.

He struck at his food, wrapped it up then dropped it. I left it, he ignored it. Took it out a couple of hours later. I noticed the skin behind his neck was starting to get a fold.

Tried again the last night -- he wouldn't even strike at it, looked a lot to me that he was actualy becoming defensive about the food -- striking at it, but not even trying to wrap it. Gave up and left him alone.

Tonight, the fold behind his neck is clearly more pronounced and I think his eyes are starting to go a little milky.

On to the questions:

• Is the skin fold thing normal?
  • Do they normally stop eating before a shed?
  • Other than "misting" his cage to increase the humidity (which I've done today) anything else to do?
  • How long does it take from thinking they are about to shed to the shed happening?
For now my plan is to just ignore him for a few days, maybe spray a few times to keep the humidity up a bit and see where it's at on the weekend. Is that sensible? Any other advice or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

I haven't noticed skin folding before..
Some snakes do stop eating - some are still pigs, it depends on the individual snake..
Instead of misting I just make sure there is a waterbowl big enough for them to submerge themselves in.
Depends on when you started thinking they are about to shed lol, generally when you see their eyes go milky it's around 5 days for me, and I say that loosely..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back