Aggressive spotted python only angry towards me and not others

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencesnakes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve had my spotted for 2 or so years now and he(guessing he as we haven't actually had him identified) was the most placid snake, could handle him whenever even when he was about to shed..

One time as I was taking him out after being away for a few months for work, he slowly wrapped on and bit me - but wouldn’t let go. He wrapped tight around my wrist and wouldn’t release my finger. I had him in water, gently pushed his jaw, did all the tricks on these forums and he wouldn’t release for what felt like 40 mins until I pinched a little harder and peeled him off.

Ever since then he has shown aggression towards me even striking the tank when I walk past.
He loooooves my partner and handles fine with him and whenever other friends handle him.

His tank is perfect, temps are good, regularly cleaned and nice water, good lamps etc hes a happy snake all the time until I’m in close quarters.

Any ideas on why he hates me all of a sudden? Could me going away for months have impacted this? We had some friends look after him for these months and I believe he was a bit fiesta with them. Because he bit and didn’t let go he’s not forgotten that I was shocked and he now associates me with strikes?! How does the memory work with them?

I’ve started making sure I’m the one who feeds him again to maybe build up trust and getting him to crawl on my partner right next to me to realize my scent isn’t a bad one… anyway any help or advice is appreciated.

I’ve just come to terms with having to be attacked constantly to maybe get him back to happy handling with me?

Hi guys,

I’ve had my spotted for 2 or so years now and he(guessing he as we haven't actually had him identified) was the most placid snake, could handle him whenever even when he was about to shed..

One time as I was taking him out after being away for a few months for work, he slowly wrapped on and bit me - but wouldn’t let go. He wrapped tight around my wrist and wouldn’t release my finger. I had him in water, gently pushed his jaw, did all the tricks on these forums and he wouldn’t release for what felt like 40 mins until I pinched a little harder and peeled him off.

Ever since then he has shown aggression towards me even striking the tank when I walk past.
He loooooves my partner and handles fine with him and whenever other friends handle him.

His tank is perfect, temps are good, regularly cleaned and nice water, good lamps etc hes a happy snake all the time until I’m in close quarters.

Any ideas on why he hates me all of a sudden? Could me going away for months have impacted this? We had some friends look after him for these months and I believe he was a bit fiesta with them. Because he bit and didn’t let go he’s not forgotten that I was shocked and he now associates me with strikes?! How does the memory work with them?

I’ve started making sure I’m the one who feeds him again to maybe build up trust and getting him to crawl on my partner right next to me to realize my scent isn’t a bad one… anyway any help or advice is appreciated.

I’ve just come to terms with having to be attacked constantly to maybe get him back to happy handling with me?
Handling
Firm but gentle
Keep your hands 'shut'.
I would like to see your set up/ enclosure.
I get the same sh#t off my 7ft bredli....or wear gloves.😊
It doesnt hate you.

Handling
Firm but gentle
Keep your hands 'shut'.
I would like to see your set up/ enclosure.
I get the same sh#t off my 7ft bredli....or wear gloves.😊
It doesnt hate you.
I won't say anything but DON'T wear gloves, you risk them losing teeth. Spotted are only a small /medium python, it doesn't hurt

Hi guys,

When your handling him no quick movements also do you have aftershave or a strong scent on your hands maybe a smoker scent he reacts to ? something he’s not agreeing with I’m just guessing also when you start feeding him he associates food with your hand get longer tongs when feeding him ? But 100% he’s associating something with scent he hates or the way you feed him (if you fed him) change it up don’t feed him anywhere near his enclosure give some of these a try you may already have but there is heaps of people here that have far more experience than me cheers.

Back