Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arielle

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting a snake, but I dont have a liscence yet. A friend of mine said you also had to do a course on keeping snakes, is that true?

Also, does anyone recommend a specific snake for a first time owner? I know childrens are good but are there any others?

you dont need to do a course in nsw just fill in a form as far as i know phone 02 95856406, i started with a diamond, never bitten just great , any of the carpets are good ,the olives i have really love their food your license will state which you can have for first class application:shock:

A childrens, spotted or stimpsons python is a good first snake.

arielle, you don't need to do a course to get your reptile keepers license. All you need to is fill out the license application and send it off to NPWS with some money, and within a month you should have your class 1 Reptile Keepers license! It is really that simple, though there are a few beginner reptile keeper courses in Sydney if you really desire to do one. Though any decent breeder should be able to give you all the right info on how to house, feed and care for your new snake.

As for a first snake, it really depends what you want. Would you like a smaller sized snake or a larger sized snake? Some of the best beginner snakes are from the Antaresia family (which include Children's Pythons, Spotted Pythons and Stimson's Pythons), and snakes from the Morelia spilota family (this includes your Diamond pythons, Coastal Carpet pythons, Jungle Carpet pythons, Inland Carpet pythons etc). Your Antaresia family will generally grow to about 4ft in length, being a fairly small snake. Where as your Carpet pythons will grow up to 8ft in length depending on which species you decide to keep, as the different sub species grow to different lengths.

If you are interested, I do have some hatchling Coastal carpet pythons available at the moment. If you'd like anymore info feel free to PM me.

Kane

thanks mr spike, i would love a coastal carpet, but i think im going to have to get a smaller snake (dont have enough space for such a large enclosure)

The Antaresia species are great begginer pythons.
Antaresia include:
Children's python
Spotted python
Stimmson python.

best advice would be to get a snake that suits ur situation and ur wants i guess.
if u have limited space go for a childrens, stimson or spotted.

you will also have to consider heating
and you will need at least one hide if not more.
as well as your actual enclosure.
and water
and food (usually frozen mice)
and substrate (ground cover, eg newspaper)

also whether you want one from a hatchling size, or as an adult. or somewhere in between.

you should also buy from a breeder and make sure that it is healthy and feeding on thawed rodents before you buy:):)

there are lots of snakes for sale on the website so check out the Forsale section.

seeing as its been said twice....
i feel there is great need to post it again

the antaresia species are amazing beginner pythons... included are childrens python, spotted python and stimson's python.

Go with a coastal. Cheap, easy to look after and generally good natured beginers snakes. My girl is approaching 2m long and has never even attemped to bite. I think mrspike has some good lookin classic coastals, pm him

Last edited:
for an 8ft coastal your only gonna need a 4ft tank, they dont need much room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back