Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippieguy97

Reaction score
Hi all, first time snake owner here.
I have a roughly 8 month old Children’s Python, I have had it for around 5 months.
It always handled well and only tagged me once when I scared it.

A few weeks ago I went to pick it up to handled it, but it was around feeding day and it mistook my finger for food and bite my finger and coiled itself around. I freaked and out and jumped on google and good old google suggested to run alittle bit of warm water over its head. So I did this and it released. I don’t know if this was the right thing todo.
I figured it must of been hungry and that’s why. So I became caution on what days I would handle it.

Since then everytime I go to handle it, it will strike and coil itself around my finger.
Any advice on how to reduce this from happening. I havnt handled it as much as I use to due to this and this could by why it keeps thinking I’m food. But any advice on how to reduce it thinking I’m food.

-I do use feeding tongs
-I alway wash my hands before and after handling
-I have made sure I am feeding it the correct size mice

Hi Hippieguy97
I have 3 carpets myself but im sure this would work for a childrens. I always tap on the lid of their enclosures a few times with my finger just hard enough to get their attention about 5 or 10 minutes before i offer food. They soon learned that this means next time the door opens its dinnertime and will wait in anticipation. If i want to change water or access their inclosure for any other reason, i just open it without tapping a never have any problems. Its worth a try. Good luck.

Hi Hippieguy97
I have 3 carpets myself but im sure this would work for a childrens. I always tap on the lid of their enclosures a few times with my finger just hard enough to get their attention about 5 or 10 minutes before i offer food. They soon learned that this means next time the door opens its dinnertime and will wait in anticipation. If i want to change water or access their inclosure for any other reason, i just open it without tapping a never have any problems. Its worth a try. Good luck.
Thank you CF Constrictor, I will definitely give this a go

But any advice on how to reduce it thinking I’m food.
These are some of the methods that I use for food responsive snakes...
-only feed at a particular time such as night
-use a hook to stroke its back before handling so that it knows that its not feeding time
-never handle within a day of feeding
- simply leave the rat in the enclosure rather than offering it on tongs
Hope this helps ?

I always knock before picking mine up too...just to make sure he's awake!

The other thing is, if he's a growing lad, he might need to up his feed? My little Ante (Stimson's - but we can't call them that any more!) has only bitten twice and both times due to food.

I'm sure he'll settle down! They're amazing, lovely pets.

should i keep refering to mine as a stimmie or a childrens?

A Stimson's is a Children's is a python is a snake is a reptile is an animal is a living thing is a thing. You can choose any of these labels, depending on the context and your preference. Stimson's Python is still correct and is the most specific.

Unless it changes on my license my Childrens and Stimson Pythons will remain as they are. Whatever they are, I love them all.

Back