Getting little critters out of the box

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoticReps

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls

I have 2 Blue's and occasionally feed them crickets and woodies. My question is, how do you get the crickets and woodies out of the container from he pet shop without any of the vermiculite. I try and transfer them into a feeding cage that has a thin Astroturf carpet that lines a glass cage and custom lid to hold the little critters inside. This is a great way for me to view my babies having a “quick” snack.:p

I am a little freaked out about picking them up with my hands and tongs of any sort end up squishing the things, plus this process takes way too long for my liking.

What do you guys do?

Thanks

I place the punnet of crickets/woodies into the tub that they will be housed in.
Open the lid on the punnet, hold the piece of egg carton in the punnet and turn it upside down so that any vermiculite falls off. Then shake these insects into the tub.
There will be a few insects left in the punnet so hold the punnet at an angle to allow the crickets/woodies to run out.

Try using latex gloves to handle them? They are pretty inexpensive from the Supermarket.

I hope that made sense :p

Not one of my fav things to do. Not because they bother me just that I am some where between doubly left handed and an inpatient prick :rolleyes:

I have resorted to either picking up the egg carton and flicking them down from underneath or over the side of the container with plastic tweezers or just using my hands. Granted the only woodies I have used are full size because I got 6 containers at a buck a peice!:D This is why I don't keep geckos, because I can't be bothered with tiny ant sized crickets. Although I am getting better so geckos may be back on the list some day. Also am considering dead insects for the bluey's because they are not really built for speed.

Put the container from the pet shop in the fridge for about 5 mins, slows the crickets down so they arnt jumping every where then put them in :) with in a couple of mins they are warm again and jumping around

1 More question if I may?

I got sucker punched with the "cricket feeder" From Exo-Terra which I dont suppose Blue's need. But Im going to slow them slow by sticking them in the fridge, then place all all food items in the " cricket Feeder" with some dusting powder/vitamins and then place the thing in the cage? I dont think its very cost effective cause 1 feeding is like $19 here.

What else do you guys feed Blue's for protein? They love most fruit and veg but I feel they need more protein. 70% fruit and veg, 30% protien right?

Try a bit of lean mince steak or roo or a small amount of quality tinned dog food.

Not sure what happened but one of the blue's ( i think ) spewed it out. I woke up in the morning walked out of my room and could smell it straight away. The setup is at the other end of the house, that’s how bad it smelled ! Just horrible ! Well I hope it was spew cause if that’s what the poo smells like after eating mince, there will be no more !

Have you guys experienced this before?

Not sure what happened but one of the blue's ( i think ) spewed it out. I woke up in the morning walked out of my room and could smell it straight away. The setup is at the other end of the house, that’s how bad it smelled ! Just horrible ! Well I hope it was spew cause if that’s what the poo smells like after eating mince, there will be no more !

Have you guys experienced this before?

If it was a regurgitated, then there may be something wrong or there isn't sufficient heat.
What temperatures are you running?

My temps range from 36c (under the light) to 22 at the far end of the tank. I'll post some pics when I can. I dont thing the cage is the problem, I have a feeling it might have been unthawed mince. But who knows. I'll make sure food is thawed and watch the temps. What do you reckon?

Yes ! That is the case, man, I cant tell you how bad it is. PEW !

I will be starting a thread dedicated to feeding Blue Tongues. Hopefully see you there !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back